ICANN will allow companies/orgs to register TLDs

JohnDoe

ICANN will allow companies/orgs to register TLDs

Post by JohnDoe »

http://www.icann.org/

As far as I know, namecoin domains are registered without the TLD, right? So if some people register .bit with ICANN it should be trivial to change to .p2p or something I hope...

EDIT: Here is the applicant guidebook for anyone who is interested:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld ... y11-en.pdf

heilen

Re: ICANN will allow companies/orgs to register TLDs

Post by heilen »

ICANN has nothing to do with .bit domains. think of a long time ago how we did not have domains and used hosts files instead, well in a way this goes back to that.

if you mean the ICANN is making a new TLD by the name of ".bit" then it probably trivial to change the software.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

Looks like the process is very restrictive and each round of applications may take a year or more to complete, so if nobody tries to grab .bit during the first round we may be able to build in the meantime a solid community backed by orgs like the EFF and FSF that will help us dispute .bit registrations in future application rounds.
heilen wrote:ICANN has nothing to do with .bit domains. think of a long time ago how we did not have domains and used hosts files instead, well in a way this goes back to that.

if you mean the ICANN is making a new TLD by the name of ".bit" then it probably trivial to change the software.
No, I mean established corporations, organizations and institutions can apply to register a .bit gTLD. Read the article man, it's like 3 paragraphs long.

heilen

Post by heilen »

JohnDoe wrote:Looks like the process is very restrictive and each round of applications may take a year or more to complete, so if nobody tries to grab .bit during the first round we may be able to build in the meantime a solid community backed by orgs like the EFF and FSF that will help us dispute .bit registrations in future application rounds.
heilen wrote:ICANN has nothing to do with .bit domains. think of a long time ago how we did not have domains and used hosts files instead, well in a way this goes back to that.

No, I mean established corporations, organizations and institutions can apply to register a .bit gTLD. Read the article man, it's like 3 paragraphs long.
from what i understand, any gTLD may now be registered. whats to stop people from using .p2p as well?

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

heilen wrote:from what i understand, any gTLD may now be registered. whats to stop people from using .p2p as well?
Nothing. It was just an example of a tld that companies may be unwilling to register even if they could because of the link between p2p and piracy. I don't really see anyone wanting to register .bit either though, other than as a deliberate attack against namecoin.

tehdely

Post by tehdely »

JohnDoe wrote:I don't really see anyone wanting to register .bit either though, other than as a deliberate attack against namecoin.
And this is really the only thing someone could do with it.

Namecoin, by virtue of its distributed non-authoritarian nature, could never comply with ICANN's requirements, especially as far as "protecting" copyright and trademark holders. There's no single person in the Namecoin network who could seize a domain from another or prohibit the registration of one, which means that Namecoin can never answer to anyone's rules, like ICANN's.

If I had the scratch, I'd register .bit and have everything go to a page instructing you how to configure a namecoin resolver :)

caston

Post by caston »

tehdely wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:I don't really see anyone wanting to register .bit either though, other than as a deliberate attack against namecoin.

If I had the scratch, I'd register .bit and have everything go to a page instructing you how to configure a namecoin resolver :)
That's a good idea. Perhaps this is where registration fees could go?

moa

Post by moa »

caston wrote:
tehdely wrote:

That's a good idea. Perhaps this is where registration fees could go?
+1

Do this. Send all the name_firstupdate fees to an address that will be cashed up and used to buy .bit TLD from ICANN when feasible ... maybe some escrow or trusted devs to trustee the transaction.