Recurring donations

indolering

Recurring donations

Post by indolering »

We need to setup recurring donations for the hosting and other monthly expenses. Of course, we want to use cryptocoins whenever possible but we also need to accept fiat currencies.

So far, the only recurring/subscription cryptocoin payment option appears to be with Coinbase as it requires a monthly push from the users account. They have 1% fees for bank transfers and only after the first 1,000,000 dollars (i.e. it will never cost us anything).

For fiat currencies Dwolla and WePay both have subscription options. Dwolla has lower fees but WePay has a cool transparency feature to enable others to see what happens to the money.

Ideas/questions/comments?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

foglight

Re: Recurring donations

Post by foglight »

indolering wrote:We need to setup recurring donations for the hosting and other monthly expenses. Of course, we want to use cryptocoins whenever possible but we also need to accept fiat currencies.

can you give an estimate of how much the monthly expenses would be?

is it possible to only accept and do business using cryptocoin?

indolering

Post by indolering »

foglight wrote:
indolering wrote:We need to setup recurring donations for the hosting and other monthly expenses. Of course, we want to use cryptocoins whenever possible but we also need to accept fiat currencies.

can you give an estimate of how much the monthly expenses would be?

is it possible to only accept and do business using cryptocoin?
Somewhere between 50 and 100 euro. We can do cryptocoins, I'm just worried about getting the funding regularly. Coinbase offers a "subscription"
payment service.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

indolering wrote:I would like to try experiment with donations to increase community engagement.

Coinbase has a recurring "subscription" mechanism that you can setup here.

It requires that the donor have a Coinbase account. We could also try to set a yearly goal using Bitcoin Chipin.

I would like to experiment with both. Does someone want to setup an account or do you want me to?
We need something to manage $/€ donations at least, and for recurring donations.

Maybe it would be easier to manage BTC donations too... ?

Can we use money when we want, or only when a "goal" is reached ?
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

indolering

Post by indolering »

We need something to manage $/€ donations at least, and for recurring donations.

None of these require an all-or-nothing system. The bitcoin chip-in is just a widget that checks the amount at an address.
  • The Coinbase is the only recurring option for Cryptocoins at the moment. I think we should at least offer it.
  • WePay accepts credit/debit cards and it allows donors to see where the funds go.
  • Dwolla is much cheaper but it doesn't accept credit cards.
Of course, these are only the ones I know about.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:

None of these require an all-or-nothing system. The bitcoin chip-in is just a widget that checks the amount at an address.
  • The Coinbase is the only recurring option for Cryptocoins at the moment. I think we should at least offer it.
  • WePay accepts credit/debit cards and it allows donors to see where the funds go.
  • Dwolla is much cheaper but it doesn't accept credit cards.
Of course, these are only the ones I know about.
Didn't Dwolla get sued by the TradeHill exchange for large-scale fraud? Or am I out of date on this?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Post by indolering »

biolizard89 wrote:
Didn't Dwolla get sued by the TradeHill exchange for large-scale fraud? Or am I out of date on this?
I only listed Dwolla because I assumed they allowed credit/debit card payments. I don't see the point in using them.

.... AND WePay just canceled their self-service payment options. Fuck, okay, well, there is Fundly and Fundrazr, both appear to have recurring donation options. They basically use WePay as their backend, however, and it looks like WePay doesn't provide international services.

Khal, what is popular in Europe?

indolering

Post by indolering »

Okay, I'm "voting" for Believe.in for our fiat donations: they have low fees, recurring donations as well as a strong international presence (french site, sadly no near nor far-east portals) and, well, we need to just get this done.

Khal, do you want to set this up or should I ask Domob? We also need a Coinbase account for recurring Bitcoin donations.