GHash.IO currently submitting more than 51% of NMC blocks

onthefrynge

GHash.IO currently submitting more than 51% of NMC blocks

Post by onthefrynge »

Is this of concern to anyone?

snailbrain

Re: GHash.IO currently submitting more than 51% of NMC block

Post by snailbrain »

onthefrynge wrote:Is this of concern to anyone?
not much to/can do..
they are close to 50% of btc to

btcguild had 75%+ of nmc for a long long time

it would be pretty dumb for them to attack, in fact, completely stupid, and it will get noticed :) -- would probably hurt them more than it would hurt namecoin. Namecoin will recover any attack.. a business like that wouldn't ..

eventually everyone mining bitcoin will be mining namecoin imo.. it's nearly at that point now...

EDIT: looks like it was some calculation error of the chart

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

If a mining pool has 50% of a network that doesn't mean that a single person controls it.
A mining pool is very dynamic and if they are doing something bad for the network the people will see it and will go to another pool.
However it is undesirable as it is a kind of centralization and attack factor for the network.
This is not really better by Bitcoin or by any other altcoin. Not to speak about the altcoins where a single group controls all from the beginning.
May be it will found a reasonable long term solution in the future in cooperation with the Bitcoin network to this threat.
--------------
50 % Proof of Stack and 50% Proof of Work mining is avoiding this problem but introduces new vulnerabilities.
Proof of Stack is more vulnerable to back-roll the blockchain once 51% is acquired, so they need to introduce more checkpoints, which is another centralization factor.
Beside of this not all the stack holders are doing Proof of Stack mining (it would be not profitable to keep all the coins in a hot wallet for 1% profit over all the year), may be 10-20% of them are only doing POS mining and therefore 10-20% Stack would be >50% by them.
Last edited by virtual_master on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

This is a false rumor based on some people having an incomplete understanding of a Python script I wrote. The latest data is at https://www.veclabs.bit/namecoin/statis ... _dist.json ( http://www.veclabs.net/namecoin/statist ... _dist.json on ICANN ) and does not indicate a 51% attack in progress, and I doubt that a 51% attack from GHash.IO actually occurred (unless someone wants to prove me wrong).

Whoever is claiming that a 51% attack occurred should produce evidence or correct the record.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

i don't think anyone is claiming there was an attack.. just that it was vulnerable to attack

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

snailbrain wrote:i don't think anyone is claiming there was an attack.. just that it was vulnerable to attack
Let me rephrase then: there is no evidence from my data that Namecoin was vulnerable to a 51% attack from GHash.IO. Right now GHash.IO is at about 38% of the NMC hashrate.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

biolizard89 wrote:
snailbrain wrote:i don't think anyone is claiming there was an attack.. just that it was vulnerable to attack
Let me rephrase then: there is no evidence from my data that Namecoin was vulnerable to a 51% attack from GHash.IO. Right now GHash.IO is at about 38% of the NMC hashrate.
ok great

wouldn't surprise me if they did get 51%, but it would be worse for them than it would for namecoin if they "did anything".

as i said, btcguild had 75%+ for a long long time.. no one really bothered..

cassini

Post by cassini »

Just knocked up a quick-and-dirty script scanning the coinbase fields of the latest 1000 blocks. Results:
http://pastebin.com/RGpngqnD
Of these 1000 blocks we have 553 blocks with a coinbase field containing just "04efaa0319010152" (shows up as ".......R" in std ASCII).
If "04efaa0319010152" is ghash.io's coinbase string then yes, they found 55.3% of the last 1000 namecoin blocks.
However, it could be a generic string used by several smaller pools. In this case ghash.io obviously have much less than 45%.

Anybody an idea about the meaning of "04efaa0319010152"?

traister

Post by traister »

Hello,

This whole namecoin being 51% vulnerable is not correct and is based on someone looking at the pie chart on namecoin.org which was not updated with the correct hashing power distribution. Yesterday it was only showing only 3 different mining pools in the pie chart therefore making it seem like Ghash had 54%. Im pretty sure it just meant they had 54% between those 3 mining pools. As you can see it is now updated with the other mining pools and (other) category leaving us nowhere near 51%! Even if Ghash or some big mining pool did have 51% they would be incredibly stupid to even attempt a 51% attack as it most likely wont gain them that much in the end and would most likely kill BTC as well in the process! Eventually when NMC and BTC are merge mined by everyone they could both potentially be in the 51% at the same time. That is when you need to worry!

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

traister wrote:Hello,

This whole namecoin being 51% vulnerable is not correct and is based on someone looking at the pie chart on namecoin.org which was not updated with the correct hashing power distribution. Yesterday it was only showing only 3 different mining pools in the pie chart therefore making it seem like Ghash had 54%. Im pretty sure it just meant they had 54% between those 3 mining pools. As you can see it is now updated with the other mining pools and (other) category leaving us nowhere near 51%! Even if Ghash or some big mining pool did have 51% they would be incredibly stupid to even attempt a 51% attack as it most likely wont gain them that much in the end and would most likely kill BTC as well in the process! Eventually when NMC and BTC are merge mined by everyone they could both potentially be in the 51% at the same time. That is when you need to worry!
namecoin.org is using a script I wrote. The inaccuracy wasn't due to only having 3 pools; it's due to the fact that it was using the ratio of BTC/NMC difficulties, which only update every 2 weeks (and not at the same time). BTC difficulty had just updated; NMC hadn't yet; this caused all pools to appear inflated. I have updated the script to use real-time network hashrates, so it should be pretty close to accurate now.