Logo Iteration

indolering

Logo Iteration

Post by indolering »

I wanted to help Namecoin start 2014 with a fresh start, it's been a tough year.

I've been working on an iteration of the Namecoin logo for several weeks. From what I can tell, the original was created rather hastily based on existing designs. So I set off searching through N-like symbols, sifting through dozens of fonts, and experimenting with a lot of designs. Obviously, it can be changed and this should only be seen as a refresh, it should and will continue to evolve. But, for now, I think it's an immense improvement over the old design:

First and foremost, it evolves the design of the current logo's real-number symbol. However, it manages to incorporate the currency double-strike without over-riding the shape of the N, as happens with the traditional ₦ symbol.

The real enhancement here, however is the optical illusion. This is inspired by the Penrose triangle, a famous optical illusion popularized by MC Escher.

This is a reference to solving Zooko's triangle, the impossible conjecture Namecoin was created to solve.

I hope everyone likes it.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

phelix

Re: Logo Iteration

Post by phelix »

Very interesting. Is it available as in vector format? I would like to play with it.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

indolering

Post by indolering »

I've attached a .zip with some illustrator files. I'll get a repo on Github later. Apparently, the forum's disk is full so here is a temporary link the .zip.

aristoteles

Post by aristoteles »

Cool :)

kurt

Post by kurt »

Zooko's triangle looks great !

indolering

Post by indolering »

kurt wrote:Zooko's triangle looks great !
It's from Wikipedia : p

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

It would be fine the actual Namecoin symbol with a similar effect like the triangle to capture the visual attention.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

How about this one ?
- unfortunately dropbox content blocked by the spamfilter - I will try with imgur

http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

foglight

Post by foglight »

A good logo must not only be uniquely distinct AND immediately recognizable, BUT it must also remain true at ANY size.

the old logo is excellent for these reasons (round blue background, unique slanted N with the simple double line - makes it instantly and easily recognizable at any size)

at present, i dont think the new designs really hold their cool effect and thus uniqueness at small sizes. my first reaction was that it just looks like the netflix logo when made small.

phelix

Post by phelix »

virtual_master's version is more like it... here even more simplified:

http://blockchained.com/stuff/n-zooko_01.svg

http://blockchained.com/stuff/n-zooko-straight.svg

also agree to foglight - logo must work in small and b/w
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum