Why d/yourname vs b/ or g/ or c/ of p/

Google

Why d/yourname vs b/ or g/ or c/ of p/

Post by Google »

Whats stopping someone from squatting those root entrys for future use on a public ledger .

Not sure if I make sense. For example, Google wants to do something within the blockchain wouldnt they just lock down google/google then go from there?

Not talking about domain name registering here which would be "d/"

georgem

Re: Why d/yourname vs b/ or g/ or c/ of p/

Post by georgem »

Google wrote:Whats stopping someone from squatting those root entrys for future use on a public ledger .

Not sure if I make sense. For example, Google wants to do something within the blockchain wouldnt they just lock down google/google then go from there?

Not talking about domain name registering here which would be "d/"
You can't squat that easy if you have to pay 0.02 NMC for a full registration for only 200 days.

Say you want to squat 10'000 names of whatever "namespace".... you will have to pay 200 nmc (that's nearly 1000 $) for just 200 days.

Google

Post by Google »

Im thinking in terms of value of the ledger and ability to "create folders?"? sort of speak.

I guess my question is would it make sense to squat "c/" or "a/" even though right now we only use "d/" for (domains)

Google

Post by Google »

and then since be know "d/google" is valuable we assume "a/google" will also be valuable... (in case something comes along where we use "a/"

georgem

Post by georgem »

Google wrote:and then since be know "d/google" is valuable we assume "a/google" will also be valuable... (in case something comes along where we use "a/"
is d/google valuable?

What, has google.com expressed interest in it, or something?

I am not even sure if bitdomains have a future (I certainly hope so)

So what makes you think that another namespace (what you call "folder") will have potential value, when I am not even sure that d/bitdomains have?

:)

Google

Post by Google »

So then you say why not just squat everything a/google b/google <-- (this is google.bit, it is valuable) c/google d/google e/google f/google etc

Google

Post by Google »

georgem wrote:
Google wrote:and then since be know "d/google" is valuable we assume "a/google" will also be valuable... (in case something comes along where we use "a/"
is d/google valuable?

What, has google.com expressed interest in it, or something?

I am not even sure if bitdomains have a future (I certainly hope so)

So what makes you think that another namespace (what you call "folder") will have potential value, when I am not even sure that d/bitdomains have?

:)

I think d/google is one of the most valuable .bit domains to own since google could easily buy out the person who owns it just so they can secure google.bit and the possibility of that happening in the future brings value to it.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

There already are people squatting namespaces that don't make any sense. dd/google is squatted, even though basic familiarity with the dd/ specification shows that that name has no value whatsoever. There also appear to be some squatters in the tor/ namespace, despite that namespace being obsolete and the fact that no software has ever or will ever support it. If someone really wants to waste their money squatting in namespaces that haven't even been proposed, I suppose they're welcome to do so, but it's not likely to be particularly profitable. (But hey, people sometimes win lotteries despite a negative expected value, so maybe someone will get lucky.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

jdbtracker

Post by jdbtracker »

And that is the beauty of it, you can start your own folder within the Name Hierarchy... why not just use your company name as a namespace and create a personal network from there for yourself. Hell why not start a p2pool network or folding network where F@H clients communicate off of? All running off of your local blockchain, never touching the outside Internet.

It's up to you.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

biolizard89 wrote:There already are people squatting namespaces that don't make any sense. dd/google is squatted, even though basic familiarity with the dd/ specification shows that that name has no value whatsoever. There also appear to be some squatters in the tor/ namespace, despite that namespace being obsolete and the fact that no software has ever or will ever support it.
Yes. I think also it doesn't have sense to register entries in some random namespaces which are not intended to be used.
biolizard89 wrote: If someone really wants to waste their money squatting in namespaces that haven't even been proposed, I suppose they're welcome to do so, but it's not likely to be particularly profitable. (But hey, people sometimes win lotteries despite a negative expected value, so maybe someone will get lucky.)
Here is the question if the registrations in unused namespaces are random or directed by some system.
But let us say some people intend to make an own system on top of the Namecoin blockchain then it could have sense for them that they register the most valorous entries before they announce it. Of course that would require more than just to register the names. But they are of course welcome to do that.

It is also possible that some people are speculating on such scenarios that others will use that namespace, but that would be a risky investiture.
It is also possible that some users are not well informed and they are just trying everything.
jdbtracker wrote:And that is the beauty of it, you can start your own folder within the Name Hierarchy... why not just use your company name as a namespace and create a personal network from there for yourself. Hell why not start a p2pool network or folding network where F@H clients communicate off of? All running off of your local blockchain, never touching the outside Internet.

It's up to you.
Sure. Anybody can start to realize his own ideas in a namespace and they can do it with an open community or they could prefer to remain a closed community if they have enough resources and development power and later market it for the brighter public.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S