Can we ever expect to access .bit domains with Firefox, etc?

jdbtracker

Re: Can we ever expect to access .bit domains with Firefox,

Post by jdbtracker »

indolering wrote:
jdbtracker wrote:
Everything... you need to check out the examples at the emscripten wiki... they are making in browser compilers with this stuff.

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki
Emscripten is old news, this isn't a matter of C/C++/Java/Javascript, the language is fairly arbitrary. As Biolizard said, the real difficulty is the sandboxes to the web content: you don't want content form one site not being able to effect another site.

Your thinking in the right direction (crossing layers of network abstraction) but you don't understand the implementation details which constrain us from making that jump. We have to graft DNS infrastructure (which works with raw UDP packets) onto HTTP communications. Just throwing a C program into Javascript doesn't make that happen.
Yup, have to add things to make it work, just have to figure out which parts to code to accomplish this. It'll be big, once the Firefox OS goes global 3 Billion people are about to have direct access to every single software that has ever been created. If using Keccak we can tweak the parameters so that it compresses the files into a hash string that is reversible.

A while back they had what was called the Crunchy Crypto contest at the keccak developers site... they can crack it up to 4 iterations, we don't even need that just 1-2 iterations of the algorithm to reverse it, people will be able to hold the entire library of congress in a 4gb mobile phone.

The rest is just building it, compiling it, research and improve the code until it works flawlessly.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

jdbtracker wrote:
indolering wrote:
jdbtracker wrote:
Everything... you need to check out the examples at the emscripten wiki... they are making in browser compilers with this stuff.

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki
Emscripten is old news, this isn't a matter of C/C++/Java/Javascript, the language is fairly arbitrary. As Biolizard said, the real difficulty is the sandboxes to the web content: you don't want content form one site not being able to effect another site.

Your thinking in the right direction (crossing layers of network abstraction) but you don't understand the implementation details which constrain us from making that jump. We have to graft DNS infrastructure (which works with raw UDP packets) onto HTTP communications. Just throwing a C program into Javascript doesn't make that happen.
Yup, have to add things to make it work, just have to figure out which parts to code to accomplish this. It'll be big, once the Firefox OS goes global 3 Billion people are about to have direct access to every single software that has ever been created. If using Keccak we can tweak the parameters so that it compresses the files into a hash string that is reversible.

A while back they had what was called the Crunchy Crypto contest at the keccak developers site... they can crack it up to 4 iterations, we don't even need that just 1-2 iterations of the algorithm to reverse it, people will be able to hold the entire library of congress in a 4gb mobile phone.

The rest is just building it, compiling it, research and improve the code until it works flawlessly.
I literally have no idea what you're talking about or how it's relevant to the points that indolering and I made.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Post by indolering »

biolizard89 wrote:a what you're talking about or how it's relevant to the points that indolering and I made.
Just let it go biolizard, there's no hope in this venture.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:a what you're talking about or how it's relevant to the points that indolering and I made.
Just let it go biolizard, there's no hope in this venture.
Fair enough. I'll go back to playing with anonymous-git-hosting.bit. Probably more productive. (Check it out in the block explorer!)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Mojave

Post by Mojave »

I don't know if anyone's brought this up, but I already access .bit domains with firefox. I just changed my browser's dns settings to one of the servers on this page.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

Mojave wrote:I don't know if anyone's brought this up, but I already access .bit domains with firefox. I just changed my browser's dns settings to one of the servers on this page.
Very good. I am glad to here that.
They are different methods at the moment to access .bit domains but by each of them you need to do something before (like configuration in the browser or install plugin or use proxy).
The title is referring to access .bit domains directly without the need to do some extra action for it, like surfing ICANN domains, which would be ideal for users with less technical understanding.
As you can see in the thread this question was already addressed by Google and they showed some interest to support it directly in Chrome. They are still technical issues to be solved but finally will depend on the cooperation with the specific browser.
We hope that at least by the most popular and open source browsers will work.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

jdbtracker

Post by jdbtracker »

Understanding is not required, simply to try and see if it works.

http://www.benjamincburns.com/2013/11/1 ... pport.html

indolering

Post by indolering »

jdbtracker wrote:Understanding is not required, simply to try and see if it works.

http://www.benjamincburns.com/2013/11/1 ... pport.html
You needn't reimplement low-level protocols in JavaScript, such as using WebSockets to transmit raw Ethernet frames. You can also transmit TCP/IP over bongo-drums, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be better to come up with a bong-drum native protocol.

Speech.js "implements a browser in a browser" as well, it just does so in a way that doesn't require emulating the entire network stack. Instead of emulating all of BIND and Namecoin in JavaScript, you just send an HTTP GET request. Sure, there is a complex backend that still needs to be built, but that's dramatically less complex than trying to fit a gigabyte blockchain and an entire OS networking stack into JavaScript.

Unfortunately, even the above is giving your proposal too much credit. The trouble is getting any such client-side application delivered to the client legally. If it was just a matter of sending a JS application to a browser, then why wouldn't you just send the original information to the browser?

I'm posting this here for the record, your proposal is verging on hijacking the thread. I will ignore any additional comments regarding your proposal and I would suggest creating a new thread if you wish any discuss it any further.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.