Can we ever expect to access .bit domains with Firefox, etc?

jdbtracker

Re: Can we ever expect to access .bit domains with Firefox,

Post by jdbtracker »

I found a solution!!! i was going through the mozilla Developer Network and came across this...

asm.js with the emscripten compiler!! we can do this now the easy way with the latest Firefox Nightly releases or the Chrome Octane

https://blog.mozilla.org/mbest/2013/06/ ... f-firefox/

This thing can compile our code straight into javascript so we can use it! you have to see this!

These games are written in JavaScript!

Monster madness

http://www.playverse.com/Anonplayer/0-a ... de18dca4e8

They ported Unreal 3 by using EMscripten to compile the C++ code to asm.js(a optimized version of JavaScript)

http://www.unrealengine.com/html5/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

jdbtracker wrote:I found a solution!!! i was going through the mozilla Developer Network and came across this...

asm.js with the emscripten compiler!! we can do this now the easy way with the latest Firefox Nightly releases or the Chrome Octane

https://blog.mozilla.org/mbest/2013/06/ ... f-firefox/

This thing can compile our code straight into javascript so we can use it! you have to see this!

These games are written in JavaScript!

Monster madness

http://www.playverse.com/Anonplayer/0-a ... de18dca4e8

They ported Unreal 3 by using EMscripten to compile the C++ code to asm.js(a optimized version of JavaScript)

http://www.unrealengine.com/html5/
How does that help us? Websites don't have the permissions to do socket operations (as required by Namecoin), so you can't compile namecoind in asm.js and have it function.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

jdbtracker

Post by jdbtracker »

Don't be so negative where there is a will there is a way. We can compile the code for local hosting and go from there as a local portal to the internet. The compiled code will do the work for us, it's just a browser within a browser solution.

indolering

Post by indolering »

jdbtracker wrote:Don't be so negative where there is a will there is a way. We can compile the code for local hosting and go from there as a local portal to the internet. The compiled code will do the work for us, it's just a browser within a browser solution.
You are on the right track, it's just that your methods are incorrect. Asm.js has to do with speed improvements, the stumbling block to in-browser implementations have been legal issues, not technical issues.
Last edited by indolering on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

jdbtracker

Post by jdbtracker »

indolering wrote:
jdbtracker wrote:Don't be so negative where there is a will there is a way. We can compile the code for local hosting and go from there as a local portal to the internet. The compiled code will do the work for us, it's just a browser within a browser solution.
You are on the right track, it's just that your methods are incorrect. Asm.js has to do with speed improvements, the obstacle here is a legal, not a technical one.
What are the legalities? I was not aware that we were not allowed to keep a personal ledger of IP addresses, It's needed now more than ever, my internet is now being filtered by my ISP. How long will it take before they are outright controlling where we go, who we know, and what we are allowed to know?

indolering

Post by indolering »

jdbtracker wrote:
indolering wrote:
You are on the right track, it's just that your methods are incorrect. Asm.js has to do with speed improvements, the obstacle here is a legal, not a technical one.
What are the legalities? I was not aware that we were not allowed to keep a personal ledger of IP addresses, It's needed now more than ever, my internet is now being filtered by my ISP. How long will it take before they are outright controlling where we go, who we know, and what we are allowed to know?
The problem is distribution of the initial list: just linking to one of these websites can get the host of the Javascript in trouble. Anyway, that's why I built Speech.is, we're working on it! :D

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

What C++ code are you planning to compile into Javascript?

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

jdbtracker

Post by jdbtracker »

biolizard89 wrote:
Everything... you need to check out the examples at the emscripten wiki... they are making in browser compilers with this stuff.

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki

Namecoinq , nmcontrol, with this development we can make a distributed version of the damon and client, put the blockchain as a distributed database through the browser cache to stream to other Namecoin users for downloading webpages, Decentralized Distributed DNS.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

jdbtracker wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
Everything... you need to check out the examples at the emscripten wiki... they are making in browser compilers with this stuff.

Namecoinq , nmcontrol, with this development we can make a distributed version of the damon and client, put the blockchain as a distributed database through the browser cache to stream to other Namecoin users for downloading webpages, Decentralized Distributed DNS.
How are you planning to make namecoinq do anything inside a browser when browser sandboxes don't allow access to sockets? This has nothing to do with what language the source code is written in; the problem is the browser sandbox.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish. If your goal is to somehow compile namecoinq into something you can load as a web page, this isn't going to help you as far as I can tell. Is there something I'm not following?

indolering

Post by indolering »

jdbtracker wrote:

Emscripten is old news, this isn't a matter of C/C++/Java/Javascript, the language is fairly arbitrary. As Biolizard said, the real difficulty is the sandboxes to the web content: you don't want content form one site not being able to effect another site.

Your thinking in the right direction (crossing layers of network abstraction) but you don't understand the implementation details which constrain us from making that jump. We have to graft DNS infrastructure (which works with raw UDP packets) onto HTTP communications. Just throwing a C program into Javascript doesn't make that happen.