Can we ever expect to access .bit domains with Firefox, etc?

phelix

Re: Can we ever expect to access .bit domains with Firefox,

Post by phelix »

What about a lightweight firefox plugin that accesses remote nmcontrol servers and is capable of TLS (auth+encryption)? Also redirecting to old school domains should be possible.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

jonyspain

Post by jonyspain »

access with a plug-in should be fine, (haven't tried it yet)
what needs to be done it's improve the plugin,
and improve the client, for other use cases...

both of them should be able to interpret the information required,
if you click a namecoin:\\NafGIGJSD... now
it opens namecoin and offers you to send namecoins,

i propose that if you open
namecoin:\\dot.bit or namecoin:\\d/dot or namecoin:\\dot.d
and you have the namecoin client open, it should give you back the underlying ip/url

and add more use cases, like if you open
namecoin:\\dot.tor it queries the namecoin database for the long onion address under the namespace a and
gives you back that address.

and if you open
namecoin:\\dot.nmc it gives you back the nmc address specified on that domain
namecoin:\\dot.btc it gives you back the bitcoin address for donations to that webpage

and so on.
etc etc

is that difficult to implement? maybe an options control panel inside namecoin to activate all this.
and easy option to add this info to your nmc domain.

or maybe it should just open a dinamically generated a html file in all the properties of the namecoin domain,
and with an easy option to copy the info. obviously if its only ns servers in the info it should handle the query internally and generate a link with the ip/ regular dns.

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote:What about a lightweight firefox plugin that accesses remote nmcontrol servers and is capable of TLS (auth+encryption)? Also redirecting to old school domains should be possible.
This is an excellent goal, we definitely need to have plug-ins ready for all of the major browser vendors. I think integration with second and third-tier browser vendors looking to make a name for themselves (Opera, Iceweasel, Konquoror, etc) would be politically savvy and useful as development testbeds.

I think that it would be better to work with the research arms of Mozilla, IE, and Google. It would provide us with funding as well as help us understand their needs and improve communications internally instead of being part of the noise machine railing at them to do things.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

indolering wrote:
phelix wrote:What about a lightweight firefox plugin that accesses remote nmcontrol servers and is capable of TLS (auth+encryption)? Also redirecting to old school domains should be possible.
This is an excellent goal, we definitely need to have plug-ins ready for all of the major browser vendors. I think integration with second and third-tier browser vendors looking to make a name for themselves (Opera, Iceweasel, Konquoror, etc) would be politically savvy and useful as development testbeds.

I think that it would be better to work with the research arms of Mozilla, IE, and Google. It would provide us with funding as well as help us understand their needs and improve communications internally instead of being part of the noise machine railing at them to do things.
Yeah. Good idea. It could be eventually a complete outsourcing of the plugin development(or complete browser integration) for private company held browsers like Chrome, IE and Opera and they could finance .bit domain support themselves with context-sensitive adds.
Namecoin is a cooperation oriented project.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

I'm planning to add support for remote nmcontrol servers to Convergence for Namecoin (along with a warning that it's less secure than using your own nmcontrol). Not sure what you mean with TLS, do you mean having the nmcontrol connection be secured by TLS? Redirects to ICANN domains ("http" field) is also planned, once a spec is finalized.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:I think integration with second and third-tier browser vendors looking to make a name for themselves (Opera, Iceweasel, Konquoror, etc) would be politically savvy and useful as development testbeds.
That's an interesting idea. Note though, that as far as Iceweasel is concerned, it is basically just a re-branding of Firefox because Debian doesn't want to include the trade-marked Mozilla branding. We could instead try GNU IceCat if we can convince GNU / the FSF that Namecoin is "more free" than the centralised systems.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote: ... Iceweasel is concerned, it is basically just a re-branding of Firefox because Debian doesn't want to include the trade-marked Mozilla branding. We could instead try GNU IceCat if we can convince GNU / the FSF that Namecoin is "more free" than the centralised systems.
I noticed that they have CA Cert in their trusted SSL provider setup, I assumed they had more leeway to play with things.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

phelix

Post by phelix »

indolering wrote:

If you can make it happen... :)

biolizard89 wrote:
I'm planning to add support for remote nmcontrol servers to Convergence for Namecoin (along with a warning that it's less secure than using your own nmcontrol). Not sure what you mean with TLS, do you mean having the nmcontrol connection be secured by TLS? Redirects to ICANN domains ("http" field) is also planned, once a spec is finalized.
I meant the connection to the site (as it is working already). A safe connection to the remote nmcontrol sure would be nice but I would leave that for later.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
indolering wrote:

If you can make it happen... :)

biolizard89 wrote:
I meant the connection to the site (as it is working already). A safe connection to the remote nmcontrol sure would be nice but I would leave that for later.
Okay, gotcha. Yeah, that is definitely something that I'll be working on.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:
domob wrote: ... Iceweasel is concerned, it is basically just a re-branding of Firefox because Debian doesn't want to include the trade-marked Mozilla branding. We could instead try GNU IceCat if we can convince GNU / the FSF that Namecoin is "more free" than the centralised systems.
I noticed that they have CA Cert in their trusted SSL provider setup, I assumed they had more leeway to play with things.
Yes, they do (which I find really nice). And I'm not really deep into this matter, but it feels as if adding native .bit resolution support would be far more invasive changes than replacing the artwork and adding a certificate. However, I agree that also Debian seems like a good candidate to try to push for better support of Namecoin (more so than, say, Canonical, IMHO).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/