Decentralized Name Exchange built into Namecoin-qt

snailbrain

Decentralized Name Exchange built into Namecoin-qt

Post by snailbrain »

This was discussed when the qt was being created.. we was thinking of creating a namecoin name exchange at the time except web-based with some "commission" ;).
Thecoder described a way it could be done in theory and then came up with a more technical decentralized solution which is basically what I posted last week:
http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1316

Decentralized Exchange Tab, layman's terms (the only way i know ;)) ..

Method 1:
Buyer Makes Offer for a Name (Seller needs to be running the new qt).
Seller sees list of all offers for his names in exchange tab.. Presses accept, done. Safe.
Buyer can cancel his offers at any time by spending a locked coin which was created for this offer.

Method 2:
Seller lists names for sale at fixed price (via configure names tab).
Buyer sees current names for sale in exchange tab, press accept, done. Safe.

some other methods also, with a lot of technical information.. but at this stage i don't think is needed.

For those worried about cluttering of Qt.
This won't effect any normal workings of namecoin, and can be disabled at compile with some switch.. but we think it probably should be a permanent part of namecoin-qt. We think trading namecoin names in a decentralized way is very important part of namecoin.

The method in the link can be used for lots of other things.. but trading names is probably the best start.

What do people think?

As for waiting for the rebase.. i think libcoin is probably going to be the way to go? Libcoin (the person) is a bit busy, but he is working on the qt part of libcoin, and then integrating Namecoin Names Tab... also i think he needs to do something with merge mining (cannot remember full details atm)... this is not a high priority for him atm, but he is progressing with it slowly... he also believes it will not be very difficult to do.

Is Khal continuing with rebase on bitcoin?

phelix

Re: Decentralized Name Exchange built into Namecoin-qt

Post by phelix »

you went ot in op. :lol:

A decentralized name exchange would be wonderful. But things like this would be better to be implemented in Python imho...

How would the communication of offers be implemented?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

phelix wrote:you went ot in op. :lol:

A decentralized name exchange would be wonderful. But things like this would be better to be implemented in Python imho...

How would the communication of offers be implemented?
ot =off topic?

i was just expecting people to say, "before we do anything liek this, we should wait for rebase".. so i put that in like a "pre-emptive" strike lol

i will get a proper answer later

but..

You can transfer a name to the possible seller (with details/half of sig?) can be sent.
or can be some fake transaction which goes into memory pool, but not the chain (but client needs to be running, and maybe need to send a few incase it doesn't reach?)
is more (will check)

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

Snailbrain you and Khal will be the first who will receive the 'Namecoin Liberty Prize'.
http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1310
:) :) :)

My opinion that it shouldn't be so complicated like Oracle Application Server was with so many under under under menus.
:D :D :D
We have spoken about a modular building. Namecoind + GUI variations.
http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=20
Let us continue this way.

Based on Namecoind should be the Basic GUI which contains just network related operations like now and may be some operations of general interest, like ID look-up or browsing related help to start a .bit domain in a browser as discussed.

The Trading GUI which should also start on top of the Namecoind independently and eventually simultaneously with the Basic GUI.
In the trading GUI could be this name trading implementation with messaging and contracts.
This all would fit excellent together.
Of course Stock and Bond trading based on a proper namespace could also come here.

All 3 modules could be developed independently Namecoind, Basic GUI and Trading GUI.
This would have the advantage that you could already begin to implement it without waiting the rebase. (at least the features which are based only on the existing RPCs, when still not existing Namecoind features required they could be done later or even in advance when at least the communication interface is defined)
Basic GUI and Trading GUI could be eventually started together also attached like a single GUI
This way simplists and beginners would have also their fun with Namecoin and those with desire of complexity also.

What do you mean ?
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

virtual_master wrote:Snailbrain you and Khal will be the first who will receive the 'Namecoin Liberty Prize'.
http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1310
:) :) :)

My opinion that it shouldn't be so complicated like Oracle Application Server was with so many under under under menus.
:D :D :D
We have spoken about a modular building. Namecoind + GUI variations.
http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=20
Let us continue this way.

Based on Namecoind should be the Basic GUI which contains just network related operations like now and may be some operations of general interest, like ID look-up or browsing related help to start a .bit domain in a browser as discussed.

The Trading GUI which should also start on top of the Namecoind independently and eventually simultaneously with the Basic GUI.
In the trading GUI could be this name trading implementation with messaging and contracts.
This all would fit excellent together.
Of course Stock and Bond trading based on a proper namespace could also come here.

All 3 modules could be developed independently Namecoind, Basic GUI and Trading GUI.
This would have the advantage that you could already begin to implement it without waiting the rebase. (at least the features which are based only on the existing RPCs, when still not existing Namecoind features required they could be done later or even in advance when at least the communication interface is defined)
Basic GUI and Trading GUI could be eventually started together also attached like a single GUI
This way simplists and beginners would have also their fun with Namecoin and those with desire of complexity also.

What do you mean ?
removed some drunk idle chat ;d

domob and biolizards contributions are prize worthy

We don't want to create too many guis, as would be more time to update .. but maybe a trading gui may not be so bad... but then if it was seperate, you wouldn't be able to put an offer for any name

aristoteles

Post by aristoteles »

Hello,

I do not know if my comment contributes something, but I would like to propose the following regarding this:

That in trying to register a domain if the domain is registered, put a link "In Auction".

With the following options:

- "Buy it now" - 5 NMC

or

- "Make Offer"

regards