New .bit proxy. Just append .pe to URL.

virtual_master

Re: New .bit proxy. Just append .pe to URL.

Post by virtual_master »

I tried 3-4 times as described to surf some websites with .pe extension (like dot-bit.bit.pe, dns.bit.pe or explorer.bit.pe) but they never ever worked. They delivered nothing or just only adds.
If it would work as announced:
- surely it would be not recommended for some sensitive content as all is flowing through a central server
However from the point of view of security it is not different then a plain web proxy without encryption.
- for casual view of some .bit sites or just to inform what exists for potentially interested users could be an alternative quick solution
- for more sensitive content or for every day usage it is surely resolving the DNS the proper solution
(to rely mostly on domain extension or webproxy solution would be definitely wrong)

Pricipially I am not against this solution as alternative casual surfing method but if the .pe extension doesn't deliver the corresponding .bit site content, only adds than it doesn't relates to the Namecoin project and is not justified to keep it here:
http://dot-bit.org/How_To_Browse_Bit_Domains
because will only confuse new users.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

virtual_master wrote:I tried 3-4 times as described to surf some websites with .pe extension (like dot-bit.bit.pe, dns.bit.pe or explorer.bit.pe) but they never ever worked. They delivered nothing or just only adds.
If it would work as announced:
- surely it would be not recommended for some sensitive content as all is flowing through a central server
However from the point of view of security it is not different then a plain web proxy without encryption.
- for casual view of some .bit sites or just to inform what exists for potentially interested users could be an alternative quick solution
- for more sensitive content or for every day usage it is surely resolving the DNS the proper solution
(to rely mostly on domain extension or webproxy solution would be definitely wrong)
A proxy like this is certainly acceptable for a few very specific purposes. The problem is, as you say, using it for general everyday usage is dangerous, and the operator of this proxy isn't making that clear to users. When I tried it a while back with dot-bit.bit, it seemed to load part of the site fine, but some of the links/embeds were broken, if I recall correctly.
virtual_master wrote:Pricipially I am not against this solution as alternative casual surfing method but if the .pe extension doesn't deliver the corresponding .bit site content, only adds than it doesn't relates to the Namecoin project and is not justified to keep it here:
http://dot-bit.org/How_To_Browse_Bit_Domains
because will only confuse new users.
Honestly I think that entire page needs a rework, seeing as it isn't clear what the threat model of each option listed is. (And most of the listed options have basically no security or privacy.) That's been on my radar for a while, along with revamping the rest of the wiki. Presumably as we transition to namecoin.info for end-users, this will be fixed.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

pitbull

Post by pitbull »

I'm trying to sort out the future media architect page being displayed - you should never see this - I have no association with them. .bit.pe *should* work as intended, and it does for most domains I've tested.

pitbull

Post by pitbull »

Problem solved. (fingers crossed)