Improving the Wiki

biolizard89
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:The wiki on dot-bit actually is a namecoin wiki (e.g. several namespaces described). Should we give it a more general name? Everybody is welcome to add new stuff btw.

Also I very much like the principle of saving information at one place only.

The idea with the namecoin.info page was to have a general starting point. Admittedly these things tend to sleep away and it is pretty outdated. Should we put the page on github so more people can edit? There certainly are a couple of new projects but are they mature enough to go on namecoin.info? At least all the new projects should go on the wiki.

I have access to namecoin.info. Not sure if we can/should make larger changes to the wiki without an ack from Khal. But he certainly would not mind a "Projects" section.

What making more use of http://reddit.com/r/namecoin ?
Yes, I would support giving the wiki a name like "Namecoin Wiki", if khal doesn't object. So you're pretty sure khal wouldn't have a problem with using the wiki for generic Namecoin stuff?

I'm not a huge fan of Reddit, and I don't have a Reddit account.... I prefer the wiki / forum setup that we have now.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Reddit, and I don't have a Reddit account.... I prefer the wiki / forum setup that we have now.
Me too. But of course I don't object if anyone wants to use Reddit, everything helps! ;)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix
Posts: 1634
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:The wiki on dot-bit actually is a namecoin wiki (e.g. several namespaces described). Should we give it a more general name? Everybody is welcome to add new stuff btw.

Also I very much like the principle of saving information at one place only.

The idea with the namecoin.info page was to have a general starting point. Admittedly these things tend to sleep away and it is pretty outdated. Should we put the page on github so more people can edit? There certainly are a couple of new projects but are they mature enough to go on namecoin.info? At least all the new projects should go on the wiki.

I have access to namecoin.info. Not sure if we can/should make larger changes to the wiki without an ack from Khal. But he certainly would not mind a "Projects" section.

What making more use of http://reddit.com/r/namecoin ?
Yes, I would support giving the wiki a name like "Namecoin Wiki", if khal doesn't object. So you're pretty sure khal wouldn't have a problem with using the wiki for generic Namecoin stuff?
There already is quite a bit of generic Namecoin stuff in it like the namespaces... Yeah, I'm pretty sure he would not mind a projects page or something like that. I did put in a generic use cases page a while ago and he did not object.
I'm not a huge fan of Reddit, and I don't have a Reddit account.... I prefer the wiki / forum setup that we have now.
So far I have only used it a little but there is a special elegance to it: Anybody can add content but there is still some kind of order from the votes.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by indolering »

The main wiki is find for developers, but I think a more user-oriented website should serve as the main entry point for the project.

I think the debate over multiple wiki's confuses the purpose of a developer wiki for that of the organization's communication platform. In that respect, every large open source project has multiple CMS systems. Normally, the developer wiki would be pushed to a cname like dev.domain.tld or wiki.domain.tld and Wordpress or Drupal would be used for the landing page.

I personally dislike the dot-bit domain, but I like keeping .bit and namecoin separated conceptually....
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

phelix
Posts: 1634
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by phelix »

indolering wrote:The main wiki is find for developers, but I think a more user-oriented website should serve as the main entry point for the project.

I think the debate over multiple wiki's confuses the purpose of a developer wiki for that of the organization's communication platform. In that respect, every large open source project has multiple CMS systems. Normally, the developer wiki would be pushed to a cname like dev.domain.tld or wiki.domain.tld and Wordpress or Drupal would be used for the landing page.

I personally dislike the dot-bit domain, but I like keeping .bit and namecoin separated conceptually....
Well, there is http://namecoin.info (though it is out of date...)
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by biolizard89 »

Maybe something similar to how PRISM-Break handles things? Basically they use a Git repo for their site, and any user can setup a public website which uses that Git repo. So if one of us wanted to update something on the site, we would just send a pull request.

That said, I honestly still prefer the wiki model. Plenty of projects use a wiki as their landing page; as long as it's organized well it can be newbie-friendly and still have developer stuff (accessible via a Developers link on the landing page).

@phelix if I have your approval I will start making some edits on the dot-bit.org wiki to make it more user-friendly and mention other Namecoin projects. (I realize you're not khal but I think you're the closest we can get until khal comes back.)

EDIT: Alternatively, I'd be happy to write some content for namecoin.info if phelix is willing to make it use Git like how PRISM-Break does it. This way we all have a backup via Git. This might actually be preferable to a wiki, seeing as khal controls the wiki and is missing in action right now.

EDIT 2: Yeah, now that I think about the centralization issue, I think I'm in favor of something Git-based, like PRISM-Break. @phelix, would you be willing to make namecoin.info based on a Git repo?

EDIT 3: I just found this: http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/wiki/ ... _to_server . This allows backing up a public wiki, so if dot-bit.org goes down, we can all have a backup. So, I think I'm in favor of using dot-bit.org as the main landing page (which will be way easier for end users to contribute than Git), if phelix approves. (Sorry for my flip-flopping....)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote: Well, there is http://namecoin.info (though it is out of date and can only be changed by Khal and me afaik)
It feels to me like the two should be flipped. Dot-bit.org sounds like somewhere I would send people that are interested in new domain names. An end-user wouldn't think "dns" when they wanted a "website address" and throwing the concept of digital currency at them at the same time is a recipe for disaster.

Namecoin.info is also much more suited for the broader development stuff too. Namecoin is a general P2P information store, not just a domain name system. The .bit aspect could be a minority use-case in the future. What if we pushed all of the development stuff over to the Namecoin site made .bit into a newb landing page?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by indolering »

On an impulse, I checked some names scored bits.name for $10. I'm more than happy to donate it to the development fund.

Bit.org.nz is available and bit.name, bit.net, and bit.org all look unused. It might be worthwhile to contact them and ask for a donation.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by biolizard89 »

I started a rewrite of the landing page, to make it use-case-neutral and more oriented towards end users. The rewrite is here:

http://dot-bit.org/Biolizard89_Rewrite_Intro

I've only touched the stuff that's in the float:left section, obviously the float:right stuff and the things below them need work as well. I'm envisioning having links to individual software and services (Namecoin-Qt, Convergence, the Pidgin plugin, NameID, etc.) in the Implementations page (which isn't started yet), and moving developer info to the Development page (which also isn't started yet).

Please don't edit this page yet... please post suggestions / constructive criticism in this thread so that we can discuss it. Also, what use cases did I miss? I probably should put Bitmessage... did I miss anything else?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix
Posts: 1634
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Improving the Wiki

Post by phelix »

Using git (github?) for the website seems a good idea. I will try and set something up tomorrow.
biolizard89 wrote:I started a rewrite of the landing page, to make it use-case-neutral and more oriented towards end users. The rewrite is here:

http://dot-bit.org/Biolizard89_Rewrite_Intro
Good but for my taste it is too long for the landing page itself. What about using it for this page http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin ?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

Post Reply