[ANN] NameID - Use namecoin id/ to log into OpenID sites

jprider63

Re: [ANN] NameID - Use namecoin id/ to log into OpenID sites

Post by jprider63 »

Actually, maybe storing the user's known public keys is not necessary if the challenge includes the server's public key. It could be beneficial though to detect if the server's public key has changed, but I'm not sure whether this is useful information. I'll have to think about it.

domob

Post by domob »

jprider63 wrote:I suppose it would be easier to reason about if the protocol was written up and published. From what I can tell, U requests a log in to A. A returns C, which is composed of U's id and a nonce. U signs the challenge and returns it to A. A verifies the challenge and logs U in.
Yes, that's surely true. The project is still in the experimental phase, though. ;) But in principle, the "protocol" should be clear as it involves "just" signing the challenge, and the challenge is visible in the clear if a user does not use the add-on. Thus it can be seen very easily what exactly is part of it and whether or not this would be good at a different site also.
jprider63 wrote:What is the trust-free library? A plug in that allows many sites to use this protocol for authentication?
Yes exactly. My server-side code to do the authentication is split off from the OpenID stuff, and I encourage website owners to include it (or something based on it) to allow direct log-in to their sites without needing to go through OpenID. If done correctly (for which some documentation exists, although just something I wrote up quickly while at it), these sites would then even work with the add-on (if the user confirms that he/she wants the add-on to be enabled on the specific URIs of those sites).
jprider63 wrote:The attack I mentioned would work when a user can use this authentication protocol to log into multiple sites (ignore OpenID). Perhaps having the Mozilla add-on insert the actual URI could offer some protection, however it may still leave open social engineering attacks like phishing. Also, if the user is being man-in-the-middled, he could be tricked into signing a challenge for a different site.

A potential solution to this problem would be to include the website's public key in the challenge (or /d name so this could be recovered). Client side software (Mozilla add-on) should probably keep a list of known public keys (or /d names) like SSH does. The user can then verify a site's information and public key while logging into a site for the first time. The response could then be improved so that it is encrypted using the site's public key. Therefore the response is only good for that site since only that site can decrypt the challenge.
What you describe here sounds like a different problem, to be honest. I think that solving the possibility of a MitM attack against TLS (using rogue CAs for instance), which sites should use anyway, is not within the scope of NameID. Instead, this could be solved generally by using d/ with TLS fingerprints (which already can be done), which would also secure non-login sites.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
jprider63 wrote:The attack I mentioned would work when a user can use this authentication protocol to log into multiple sites (ignore OpenID). Perhaps having the Mozilla add-on insert the actual URI could offer some protection, however it may still leave open social engineering attacks like phishing. Also, if the user is being man-in-the-middled, he could be tricked into signing a challenge for a different site.

A potential solution to this problem would be to include the website's public key in the challenge (or /d name so this could be recovered). Client side software (Mozilla add-on) should probably keep a list of known public keys (or /d names) like SSH does. The user can then verify a site's information and public key while logging into a site for the first time. The response could then be improved so that it is encrypted using the site's public key. Therefore the response is only good for that site since only that site can decrypt the challenge.
What you describe here sounds like a different problem, to be honest. I think that solving the possibility of a MitM attack against TLS (using rogue CAs for instance), which sites should use anyway, is not within the scope of NameID. Instead, this could be solved generally by using d/ with TLS fingerprints (which already can be done), which would also secure non-login sites.
Agreed; using d/ names with TLS fingerprints is much more user-friendly than trying to have users verify keys.

@domob Would you be interested in writing a plugin for Drupal/WordPress/phpBB/etc. which implements the NameID trust-free library? It might help increase adoption.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

jprider63

Post by jprider63 »

Hmm I suppose I need to think about this more. My intuition is that this authentication protocol does not authenticate the server sufficiently. Also, I think my previously proposed solution does not actually solve the problem.

Perhaps if the d/ name is included in the challenge and verification of the d/ name is included in the protocol, this would be sufficient.

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote: @domob Would you be interested in writing a plugin for Drupal/WordPress/phpBB/etc. which implements the NameID trust-free library? It might help increase adoption.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea! Note however, that I have experience with neither of those projects at the moment. I'm also quite out of time for the current and coming week, but I'll keep it on my list of things to consider when I have time!
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: @domob Would you be interested in writing a plugin for Drupal/WordPress/phpBB/etc. which implements the NameID trust-free library? It might help increase adoption.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea! Note however, that I have experience with neither of those projects at the moment. I'm also quite out of time for the current and coming week, but I'll keep it on my list of things to consider when I have time!
Awesome. NameID is shaping up to be a quite awesome project. If I can get my supervisor to approve getting a VPS so that I can run namecoind/nmcontrol (not certain at all giving our funding situation here), I would definitely install a Drupal module for NameID on one of our websites if such a module existed.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

virtual_master wrote:Good news Khal.
I see on the bottom 2 input fields:
I guess this are the supported identity providers and
.icon stands for some blocked buttons.
As I see both login fields if I insert https://nameid.org/?name=namecoinidentity are redirecting to the namecoinidentity login.
I updated the form to put the real icons & an entry for the nameid provider.

Any other volunteer to test ?
https://dot-bit.org/forum/ucp.php?mode=login

ps : nameid seems to ignore the "name" field and the "name" param if you put one in the url, so you have to type it again on nameid.org.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

aristoteles

Post by aristoteles »

Hi, sorry for a little break.

Not quite understand nameid, why would not the same as using a nick OpenID? And in any case, why are not totally independent of OpenID to make a kind of alternative?

Moreover, why is it free? Not be better for the economy namecoin charge something? or this is only temporary?

Sorry if the questions are very basic, but I read over and over and do not quite understand.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

aristoteles wrote:Hi, sorry for a little break.

Not quite understand nameid, why would not the same as using a nick OpenID? And in any case, why are not totally independent of OpenID to make a kind of alternative?

Moreover, why is it free? Not be better for the economy namecoin charge something? or this is only temporary?

Sorry if the questions are very basic, but I read over and over and do not quite understand.

NameID can be used independently of OpenID; there's a library on domob's GitHub for doing that. Obviously the website operator would have to choose to support this.

It's free so that people can audit it. Basic security practice requires open-source software... why would I trust someone with my login credentials when I can't audit their code?

domob

Post by domob »

I've updated the server as well as the Firefox extension to support "signer". A more detailed reply has been posted in this thread at forum.namecoin.org. (Not sure which forum to prefer at the moment, though.)