ICANN Article

smoothie

ICANN Article

Post by smoothie »

You guys have any insights or input on the following article? ICANN is going to make some changes to domain extensions...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/06/20/ ... hpt=hp_bn7

JohnDoe

Re: ICANN Article

Post by JohnDoe »

Yeah there was some discussion here: http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153

My opinion is that we shouldn't worry too much about it. Firstly this is only for very established companies, orgs and institutions. You need to pay 185k upfront with no security that your application will be accepted, and if it does you need to pay a yearly upkeep of 20k or something like that. To register a tld you need proof of ownership too (google can't register .apple) so with some help we could probably appeal a registration (there is a formal period for this in the registration process). It looks like a whole round of application takes quite a while, like a year or more, so if nobody tries to register .bit during the first round (applications close in February I think) then we would be able to gather quite a bit of evidence of prior use and possibly support from organizations like the EFF before the second round starts.

From our end we also have the advantage that .bit is in no way hardcoded (names are registered like d/name without the .bit tld) so it can be changed at will by the nameservers if there's a need for it. This further discourages people from shelling out 185k just to try to attack us.

rupy

Post by rupy »

Ok, this would be my course of action:

1) a) Contact ICANN, explain what namecoins is and try to make them donate/rebate the .bit domain.
b) try to get wikipedia, google and any PIPA/SOPA critical company to push ICANN.
c) buy .bit domain!!!

If that fails for some reason:

2) drop the top-level altogether! All .bit domains simply become root domains. F.ex. if you have 'shoes.bit', you now have 'shoes'!!! Advertise that if you use our DNS you won't have to type any TLD's like .com!

What do you think?

phelix

Post by phelix »

rupy wrote:Ok, this would be my course of action:

1) a) Contact ICANN, explain what namecoins is and try to make them donate/rebate the .bit domain.
b) try to get wikipedia, google and any PIPA/SOPA critical company to push ICANN.
c) buy .bit domain!!!
sounds like a plan

2) drop the top-level altogether! All .bit domains simply become root domains. F.ex. if you have 'shoes.bit', you now have 'shoes'!!! Advertise that if you use our DNS you won't have to type any TLD's like .com!

What do you think?
khal has explained in the bitviewer thread on bitcointalk.bit and probably elsewhere that it is not possible to drop tlds.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum