[NMDF] Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund

biolizard89

Re: [NMDF] Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:And now, time for a hypothetical question. What happens if Phelix is hit by a bus, arrested, blackmailed, or has his wallet stolen? What then happens to NMDF's funds? I don't think this is likely, but should we be investigating other options such as multisig for NMDF? For example, having funds be accessible via 2-of-3 with Phelix, Daniel, and myself would potentially be more secure against such scenarios.
Multisig is not yet enforced on the Namecoin network, so at least for NMC funds it won't work until we do the (somewhat planned) fork to switch a few more things with the upgrade to Namecoin Core. That said, I got some wallets from phelix some time ago and hold them as a backup plan. I don't know if this just corresponds to the "exchange page payments" (those for sure) or also the NMDF funds in general.
Right, I was mainly thinking of the Bitcoin holdings of NMDF. Namecoin holdings would not work with multisig for the reason you give. Given that Bitcoin Core and NamecoinQ/Core generate new change addresses on each transaction, a wallet backup only is good until the keypool refills, and even then it only defends against wallet loss (not seizure or theft). Bitcoin multisig is still an improvement, even if Namecoin multisig has to wait until the upgrade.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:Sent 0.385BTC to Ryan to cover for a two year namecoin.org wildcard SSL certificate. Unfortunately I had to send it from another address so I will have to do a resync transaction from the donation address, soon.
Hello Phelix. Is it okay if FSM partially reimburses NMDF for this expense? I have approximately 0.26 BTC (depending on exchange rate, I'm waiting for my USD/BTC trade to finalize) earmarked for "marketing", which I think this clearly falls under. I can send NMDF that amount if that works for you.
Partial reimbursement sent to NMDF.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:Sent 0.385BTC to Ryan to cover for a two year namecoin.org wildcard SSL certificate. Unfortunately I had to send it from another address so I will have to do a resync transaction from the donation address, soon.
Hello Phelix. Is it okay if FSM partially reimburses NMDF for this expense? I have approximately 0.26 BTC (depending on exchange rate, I'm waiting for my USD/BTC trade to finalize) earmarked for "marketing", which I think this clearly falls under. I can send NMDF that amount if that works for you.
Partial reimbursement sent to NMDF.
NMDF says thanks.

About fund security: IMHO it is more important to spend some of the money than to try to make it unproportionaly secure. At least unless Bitcoin/Namecoin rises significantly. That said I suggest to give a disc/paper copy of the BTC keys to Cassini (because I might be able to give them to him in person).
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Post by phelix »

Moved the NMDF wallet to Electrum and sent Domob a copy of the seed (securely).

Also I created a pull request for a new NMDF donation address on the homepage (see signed address below).

Updated the NMDF spreadsheet. I reimbursed myself for the hosting costs I paid for (at current price which made some profit for NMDF).

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

18kYBKu2pvj9XRRaAfUMbkm72QniwW2Dre

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJYG0SKAAoJEMv5QLdyEy4YT5EH/jcFhkJ4/OJyXIgubCpJBFCJ
t0xH1PUxk/EPb+jG9vQ0AmOC9BCVWeYxvIgiS4l+KbfxqOT1ZyocJne/BBrKrbVo
tuAhJLDJ2/yl0HKj57ZOyxo9zVwa4Xk6ughvIgZzY815tfHE8H6bD3nT0Ch8cdbK
zCUbhHRg0e+vZXgEPrxreWU8M+VzrD+tzL/wr22Xwxq5rNhuIUhTGINxj9JpZ31T
YiIrO8fmH1FiIsG79NAoyOCoVfv+avBf5cJaM8jkEL/YaPQUOq2lDXPcicNu9HIs
2a4whFvCD1lIsTzGWIOYE6sY5dPvCEk61kcRn8r8GuTxecxR80Ai9CHulwKF844=
=0VuV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

edit:
Also I finally deducted the 0.385BTC that I had paid to Ryan from some other wallet (see post above).

The resulting ~4.03BTC I sent to 1PJPqfW2WWKrEe71zspuUUhLssz6PHokeM which is part of said Electrum wallet.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:Moved the NMDF wallet to Electrum and sent Domob a copy of the seed (securely).

Also I created a pull request for a new NMDF donation address on the homepage (see signed address below).

Updated the NMDF spreadsheet. I reimbursed myself for the hosting costs I paid for (at current price which made some profit for NMDF).

=0VuV

edit:
Also I finally deducted the 0.385BTC that I had paid to Ryan from some other wallet (see post above).

The resulting ~4.03BTC I sent to 1PJPqfW2WWKrEe71zspuUUhLssz6PHokeM which is part of said Electrum wallet.
Thanks Phelix!

Is there a single list of NMDF's current liabilities (i.e. bounties that are announced but not yet awarded)? (I'm mainly trying to figure out how much NMDF has that is available for new bounties/projects.) Might be useful to put this info in the spreadsheet, perhaps?

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:Moved the NMDF wallet to Electrum and sent Domob a copy of the seed (securely).

=0VuV

edit:

Thanks Phelix!

Is there a single list of NMDF's current liabilities (i.e. bounties that are announced but not yet awarded)? (I'm mainly trying to figure out how much NMDF has that is available for new bounties/projects.) Might be useful to put this info in the spreadsheet, perhaps?
It should all be in the cornucopia thread: https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.php?p=14754

As people are supposed to talk to us before starting work it should not be an issue.