Backend Support

fuzzyTew

Backend Support

Post by fuzzyTew »

Hi,

Somebody mentioned the concept of earmarked donations on the chat and sent me here when I asked more.

I'd be interested in donating a very small amount of money regularly towards core work only (not webdesign, but things like bugfixes, security improvements, flushing out implementations, adding missing core features, simplifying changes and merging them upstream, adding namecoin support to bitcoin clients of other platforms and languages).

I'm not sure where I could send such money, though!

johnc

Re: Backend Support

Post by johnc »

https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2281

Send to the Namecoin development fund and earmark it for development. There's also a bountysource page.

If you want that bitcoin supports namecoin, that is more difficult... maybe contact some developer like the guys at mycelium to build a namecoin version... that way you can pay your friend's beers with namecoins ;)

fuzzyTew

Post by fuzzyTew »

with regard to the concept of pushing changes upstream, I don't imagine that bitcoin core would support namecoin, but:
- hopefully namecoin would differ as little as possible from upstream clients so as to ease maintainability. bugs and smaller changes would hopefully be pushed upstream
- less mainstream clients and libraries may be interested in having support for namecoin. if not, they coudl be forked. I think this is happening with bitcoinj?

I'm basically saying I would like to support work on the core development ecosystem: stability, security, maintainability, widespread support, and protocol and code documentation. I'd hope these are things core developers would already be interested in working on.

fuzzyTew

Post by fuzzyTew »

how do I mark a donation sent to the nmdf address?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Hello! Sorry for the delayed reply, things are hectic around here and I don't seem to be checking the forum quite as often as I should.
fuzzyTew wrote:Hi,

Somebody mentioned the concept of earmarked donations on the chat and sent me here when I asked more.
Just for everyone else's reference, I'm the one you talked to on IRC.
fuzzyTew wrote:I'd be interested in donating a very small amount of money regularly towards core work only (not webdesign, but things like bugfixes, security improvements, flushing out implementations, adding missing core features, simplifying changes and merging them upstream, adding namecoin support to bitcoin clients of other platforms and languages).
Thanks for your support for the project. Indeed, this is an area of development that would greatly benefit from some donations, and is definitely an area that a number of developers (including myself) would like to spend more dev time on.
fuzzyTew wrote:I'm not sure where I could send such money, though!
It's sufficiently rare for us to get earmarked donations that we don't have an official workflow for this. (Hopefully this will become more common.) We can definitely work something out though -- it just might take a few days.
johnc wrote:Send to the Namecoin development fund and earmark it for development
Due to the way Bitcoin wallets work, I'm guessing that it's easier logistically to use a different address for earmarked donations than the main donation address.
johnc wrote:There's also a bountysource page.
BountySource is a useful way for us to accept donations in national currencies, but they've been having reliability issues recently and they take a 10% cut, so I wouldn't really recommend them for donations if it can be avoided.

Anyway -- I'll ping Phelix and see if he can set up a specific wallet address for this, and more generally what he wants to do about earmarked donations logistically. Might take a few days for me to reach him. This is a kind of busy week for me, so sincere apologies for any delay.

Cheers.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

I heard back from Phelix; he suggests that you post in the NMDF thread stating what your earmark request is, and then just donate to the standard NMDF address. It also wouldn't hurt to sign a message using the address you use to donate.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5