[NMDF] Namecoin Bounty Cornucopia

biolizard89

Re: [NMDF] Namecoin Bounty Cornucopia

Post by biolizard89 »

By the way, Joseph informs me that WebBTC is down at the moment; that means that for name lookups to work until Marius fixes his server, this command-line flag is needed: --namelookup.latest.algo=leveldbtxcache

Documentation on the command line flags is in my previous link.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

I'm also now claiming the 0.5 BTC TLS bounty. ncdns v0.0.5 (on the Namecoin.org beta downloads page) supports TLS on Chromium, Chrome, Chrome Canary, and Opera (all on Windows 64-bit, and probably also Windows 32-bit). Note that the BTC can't be paid out until Bountysource's component of the bounty is paid out, so while I encourage Phelix and Daniel to verify as soon as possible that the bounty conditions are met, the payout won't happen yet.

samurai321 has confirmed on Reddit that TLS works for him with this version of ncdns.

Note that ncdns v0.0.5 also should make it much easier to test the SPV client.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

Finally, I gave the SPV client and the ncdns installer a try (on Windows). First, let me say that I don't have time to deeply look into these and I will simply pay out the bounties unless someone raises concerns.

That said here are some remarks:
The SPV client in levedbtxcache mode worked out of the box after only a couple of minutes of syncing. Great! It was not difficult for me but some kind of installer with the choice of what mode to start in might make things even easier (not necessary for the bounty). The output is quite verbose, not sure if there is a way to reduce that already.

The during the ncdns installation the DNSSEC Trigger subinstaller tried to call home during installation which was blocked on my system and maybe caused an issue. IIRC it again tried to call home at some point later. It's not clear to me why it has to do that. Something was definitely broken because no DNS request whatsoever worked after the installation. Uninstallation did not help either, only a system restart.
Note that the bounty specifically called for NMControl but I guess ncdns is established by now.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:49 pm
Finally, I gave the SPV client and the ncdns installer a try (on Windows). First, let me say that I don't have time to deeply look into these and I will simply pay out the bounties unless someone raises concerns.
Hi Phelix, thanks for the review.
phelix wrote:
That said here are some remarks:
The SPV client in levedbtxcache mode worked out of the box after only a couple of minutes of syncing. Great! It was not difficult for me but some kind of installer with the choice of what mode to start in might make things even easier (not necessary for the bounty). The output is quite verbose, not sure if there is a way to reduce that already.
The ncdns installer will provide the option of setting up the SPV client, which is bundled with the ncdns installer (and will configure it to use leveldbtxcache mode). I agree that the output is kind of verbose in the released version; a lot of that verbosity is already removed in my latest Git source code.
phelix wrote:
The during the ncdns installation the DNSSEC Trigger subinstaller tried to call home during installation which was blocked on my system and maybe caused an issue. IIRC it again tried to call home at some point later. It's not clear to me why it has to do that. Something was definitely broken because no DNS request whatsoever worked after the installation. Uninstallation did not help either, only a system restart.
Note that the bounty specifically called for NMControl but I guess ncdns is established by now.
Do you happen to know what hostname the Dnssec-Trigger installer tried to contact? I wouldn't be surprised if it's trying to retrieve the latest DNSSEC root keys from a server operated by either NLnet Labs or ICANN. (Such a step isn't really necessary for Namecoin purposes, I guess.) If you have time to help me investigate that (as well as DNS being broken after installing) I'd be happy to look into it, but I totally understand if you don't have time for helping debug it.

Cheers!

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:24 am
phelix wrote:
Do you happen to know what hostname the Dnssec-Trigger installer tried to contact? I wouldn't be surprised if it's trying to retrieve the latest DNSSEC root keys from a server operated by either NLnet Labs or ICANN. (Such a step isn't really necessary for Namecoin purposes, I guess.) If you have time to help me investigate that (as well as DNS being broken after installing) I'd be happy to look into it, but I totally understand if you don't have time for helping debug it.
Try the installer with an outgoing firewall. If you don't have one, you need one! Very interesting to see a lot of Windows programs and others trying to call home.

Alright, I am claiming OpenPGP keyserver bounty. My keyserver plugin has been fulfilling the requirements already two years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2476 (check out Domob's post that started it: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1629 )

phelix

Post by phelix »

The SPV and TLS bounties have been paid out to biolizard89. Thank you very much.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 pm
The SPV and TLS bounties have been paid out to biolizard89. Thank you very much.
Confirmed as received, thanks Phelix!

phelix

Post by phelix »

Namecoin PGP key handler bounty paid out. :)

https://github.com/phelix/npkh