Android Namecoin Client Bounty?

biolizard89

Android Namecoin Client Bounty?

Post by biolizard89 »

Would it be useful to put up a bounty for an Android Namecoin client? What should the requirements be for such a bounty?

Some questions/thoughts:
  • This seems to be the most reputable Android Bitcoin client: https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-w ... ter/wallet Should the bounty be specifically for a port of this client?
  • This wallet uses BitcoinJ. Should a port of BitcoinJ be a separate bounty from the Android client?
  • Should there be separate bounties for currency operations and name operations?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

josephbisch

Re: Android Namecoin Client Bounty?

Post by josephbisch »

Whether or not there is a bounty, I think the port should be of bitcoin-wallet. If there is a bounty, I think there should be a separate one for bitcoinj. I think the currency and name operations should be separate bounties. I think the name operations would be significantly more difficult than currency operations, because there is no existing base for the name transactions. So I think the bounty split should reflect that.

Regarding the person who posted on Reddit, it looks like he charges as low as 2 BTC. Now, I assume that would only be for currency operations, and that name operations would cost significantly more.

So there are some options. One, pay this guy. Two, see if Namecoin gets accepted to GSoC and see if a student wants to do the Android wallet project. Three, have someone from within the Namecoin devs that has the time do the port. Fourth option is to put up a bounty that is less than 2 BTC and hope that someone that is qualified, but willing to accept less than 2 BTC, comes along.

In my opinion it would be best to try option two first before considering paying for the wallet. I probably would have tried porting bitcoin-wallet myself, except I wanted to save something for the GSoC that is fast approaching. I already developed Armory and the Android port of NMControl to the point where they are probably no longer suitable GSoC projects (though name operations in Armory may still be suitable as a GSoC project (I'm not really sure how long it would take)).

androidDev

Post by androidDev »

is the bounty for android wallet still open? I am interested in that.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

androidDev wrote:is the bounty for android wallet still open? I am interested in that.
Hello! Sorry for the late reply.

I don't believe we officially created a bounty for an Android wallet, but I wouldn't be opposed to doing so in principle.

Which Bitcoin Android wallet app are you interested in porting to Namecoin?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5