Testnet Faucet Website [Closed/Rejected]

indolering

Testnet Faucet Website [Closed/Rejected]

Post by indolering »

I would like to request .5 BTC for a test-net faucet that implements all of the functionality outlined on this ticket and another .5 BTC to be paid after 1 year of administration.
Last edited by indolering on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

jonasbits

Re: Testnet Faucet Website [Request]

Post by jonasbits »

If you need some testnet coins right now, feel free to use http://faucet.oestman.se. It is based on https://github.com/John-Kenney/testnet-faucet By John-Kenney.
Last edited by jonasbits on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Namecoin address: NC3HGHk527xuWZBgMdGJ2GxjpRSw8D4oA6

domob

Post by domob »

Also note that it isn't particularly hard to mine coins on test-net if you need some. (But I still believe that a faucet would also be useful.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

domob wrote:Also note that it isn't particularly hard to mine coins on test-net if you need some. (But I still believe that a faucet would also be useful.)
It is useful to have a testnet faucet & it's really easy to keep it full of coins with just a little mining. It's that easy to mine testnet coins that you could do it on a single low power cpu core on the faucet server & it'll mine much more than you can give away with the faucet. It seems to make rate-limiting, user accounts & most of that redundant.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Hmm I had missed the OP. Seems like we are good now.

Recently when I needed some testnet coins I also just mined them on a CPU.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

I'll be improving the code & getting my faucet back online soon, I've got a much cheaper kimsufi server to host it on now, so I should be able to sustain it. I've got a better domain name for it (with ssl cert) too. Going to try to get it handling errors better & make payouts more configurable. Unless there's a bounty or some other really good reason I'm not likely to add user accounts or many other features to it. Anybody else is welcome to do whatever they like with my code for the faucet, it's public domain.

Also got to learn to configure nginx, since my cheap server only has 2gb ram & I want to get as much as possible on it.

I'd like to host more testnet web apps too, a working block explorer would be nice & if anybody has any other ideas, let me know. I've registered nmctest.net & nmctest.bit for it.

indolering

Post by indolering »

It's been 2+ months since I've posted it and I never got a commitment either way from the NDF stewards so I'm thinking of closing this out and just doing it on my own.

John Kenney, you seem to be the only serious offer on this but are you going to get this up and running soon? Does the bounty really matter to you?

I was planning on just creating at faucet.namecoin.org CNAME and pointing it at whatever IP address the site used.

Also, just use Cloudflare and enable heavy-duty caching. They basically just throw everything behind an nginx reverse proxy for you.

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

Cloudflare charge for the privilege of them doing a MITM on your https, I'm just using their free plan for DNS & wont be using their caching service, I'll probably move to my own DNS servers (with OVH as backup secondary DNS) soon. OVH/Kimsufi provide free DDOS protection on all their servers too. I'm not concerned about any bounty, it'd be nice to have as I'm totally broke & it'd help to motivate me to work faster and/or add features I'm not that personally concerned about, but I'll be putting a testnet faucet up soon anyway. Not sure if you're aware but I have some family problems that take priority over any coding, I've had a bad few weeks, but I'll be back to work asap.

If somebody else wants to host it, then it's easy to set up & I'll send a few thousand testnet nmc for you. It uses hardly any resources & gets very little traffic, just needs a namecoind running on testnet and php/mysql (with php-curl). I just haven't been able to do anything this last week or two due to my dad's health problems, the spare quiet time I get is very limited. Maybe I'll get a quiet night to sort it out tonight, I just don't know, I keep hoping.

CannaCoin have forked my code, added stats & recapcha support, maybe I can use their stats code or do my own version, hopefully there will be more forks & other people adding more features too.

indolering

Post by indolering »

John Kenney wrote:Cloudflare charge for the privilege of them doing a MITM on your https
I don't think Couldflare is interested in stealing testnet coins : P
John Kenney wrote:I'm not concerned about any bounty, it'd be nice to have as I'm totally broke & it'd help to motivate me to work faster and/or add features I'm not that personally concerned about, but I'll be putting a testnet faucet up soon anyway. Not sure if you're aware but I have some family problems that take priority over any coding, I've had a bad few weeks, but I'll be back to work asap.
I'm sorry to hear that. As I said, I'm not in control of those funds and this request never got a response either way. I'll talk to some people and see what I can do.
John Kenney wrote: If somebody else wants to host it, then it's easy to set up & I'll send a few thousand testnet nmc for you. It uses hardly any resources & gets very little traffic, just needs a namecoind running on testnet and php/mysql (with php-curl).
Since first posting this ticket, GreenQloud has been sponsoring my VMs so I can just do the hosting myself....
John Kenney wrote: CannaCoin have forked my code, added stats & recapcha support, maybe I can use their stats code or do my own version, hopefully there will be more forks & other people adding more features too.
Yeah, those extra features was partly what the bounty was about....

indolering

Post by indolering »

John, I've thought about it and I don't think it's fair to award even a partial on this bounty. The requirements were pretty clear:
indolering wrote:I would like to request .5 BTC for a test-net faucet that implements all of the functionality outlined on this ticket
The Github Ticket wrote:
  1. Payouts should have some sort of rate limiting function.
  2. Awesome wiki article documenting everything.
  3. Automated BTC or Namecoin payment system to enable a 1-time donation (preferably tied to some data feed on the USD/NMC price) in exchange for higher limits to an address.
  4. Daily limit configurable to some multiple of the domain name price.
  5. Account creation system with strong anti-spamming mechanisms.
  6. Admin account type which receives funds on demand without limits.
  7. A verified account type which receives higher limits and a UI for administrators to select accounts which are verified.
Another developer actually demoed a system with all but 2 of those features. He never released the source and then ran into a slew of personal problems and I haven't heard back from him since.

I DO appreciate your efforts and I would pay you and the other developer if I had the money to do so. I'm sorry if this post you astray, the last thing I want is to convey in any way a rejection of your efforts. If I ever get the time to set this up I will totally check your code and ask for your advice.

However, the point of a bounty is to encourage outside contributions or to complete partial implementations. I've competed for an approved bounty but because the end result differed slightly from the specs and I didn't even receive a partial. However, I understood that decision; the NDF is very small and our job is to use that money strategically.

I just don't feel comfortable asking for money for a bounty that was never approved and never fully implemented. : (