Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

biolizard89
Posts: 1978
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by biolizard89 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 am

@domob, would it be beneficial if FreeSpeechMe's Indiegogo funds donated some BTC to the libcoin rebase via Tip4Commit? Also, are there any specific tasks which would be beneficial to fund via BountySource?

Let me know if you think it would be useful.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by domob » Thu May 15, 2014 6:15 am

Of course, if you put up a bounty / funding for the libcoin rebase, it would allow me to spend (a little) more time on it. But note that I'm not sure if Tip4Commit is the best way to do it - on which repository would you put the bounties?

In general, I think that the best bet for acquiring new developers via bounties is projects based on top of Namecoin (similar to phelix' Reddit thread). For instance, file verification is one thing I would really love to see. Also NameID plugins for common projects, I can support anyone willing to do that (ideally someone who already has experience with Wordpress or whatever, which I do not).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89
Posts: 1978
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by biolizard89 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:34 pm

domob wrote:Of course, if you put up a bounty / funding for the libcoin rebase, it would allow me to spend (a little) more time on it. But note that I'm not sure if Tip4Commit is the best way to do it - on which repository would you put the bounties?
I belive that domob/libcoin repo is where most of the action is, and domob/nmc-libcoin is just a small wrapper, right? If that's the case, Tip4Commit could be used with namecoin/libcoin, with a policy that only Namecoin-related commits get funded. So when you write code, you can submit a pull request to namecoin/libcoin and get paid. The upstream libcoin commits wouldn't get paid unless they're Namecoin-specific. Would this arrangement be workable?
domob wrote:In general, I think that the best bet for acquiring new developers via bounties is projects based on top of Namecoin (similar to phelix' Reddit thread). For instance, file verification is one thing I would really love to see. Also NameID plugins for common projects, I can support anyone willing to do that (ideally someone who already has experience with Wordpress or whatever, which I do not).
I might be able to fund a NameID plugin via BountySource. What's the best way to determine which apps should be targeted... Reddit vote?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by domob » Fri May 16, 2014 5:33 am

biolizard89 wrote:
domob wrote:Of course, if you put up a bounty / funding for the libcoin rebase, it would allow me to spend (a little) more time on it. But note that I'm not sure if Tip4Commit is the best way to do it - on which repository would you put the bounties?
I belive that domob/libcoin repo is where most of the action is, and domob/nmc-libcoin is just a small wrapper, right? If that's the case, Tip4Commit could be used with namecoin/libcoin, with a policy that only Namecoin-related commits get funded. So when you write code, you can submit a pull request to namecoin/libcoin and get paid. The upstream libcoin commits wouldn't get paid unless they're Namecoin-specific. Would this arrangement be workable?
From my point of view yes, as long as this can be set-up that way using Tip4Commit. I have no idea how it works, but if you think you can do it, then it would be fine.
biolizard89 wrote:
domob wrote:In general, I think that the best bet for acquiring new developers via bounties is projects based on top of Namecoin (similar to phelix' Reddit thread). For instance, file verification is one thing I would really love to see. Also NameID plugins for common projects, I can support anyone willing to do that (ideally someone who already has experience with Wordpress or whatever, which I do not).
I might be able to fund a NameID plugin via BountySource. What's the best way to determine which apps should be targeted... Reddit vote?
No idea either, but some kind of voting sounds fine to me.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

John Kenney
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:20 pm
os: linux
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by John Kenney » Sun May 25, 2014 5:11 pm

domob wrote:Also NameID plugins for common projects, I can support anyone willing to do that (ideally someone who already has experience with Wordpress or whatever, which I do not).
I'd like to see a nameid module for Drupal, I may write one.

tosh0
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by tosh0 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:24 am

i see people on r/bitcoin asking if there's a client that prunes inputs... maybe i should point them to https://github.com/domob1812/libcoin ?
NMC: more stable than BTC!

biolizard89
Posts: 1978
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by biolizard89 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:44 am

tosh0 wrote:i see people on r/bitcoin asking if there's a client that prunes inputs... maybe i should point them to https://github.com/domob1812/libcoin ?
The main GitHub repo for libcoin is at https://github.com/libcoin/libcoin/ . Domob's repo is mainly a working space for Namecoin-specific dev before it gets merged to libcoin.

libcoind may very well be useful to Bitcoiners who want something that prunes spent outputs from storage... but keep in mind that libcoin doesn't yet support the Qt GUI client. (Bounties might improve that.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89
Posts: 1978
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by biolizard89 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:12 am

@domob, What specific tasks remain for getting the libcoin implementation on par with the standard Namecoin implementation? Once we know what tasks exist, it might be possible to post some bounties.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by domob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:00 am

biolizard89 wrote:@domob, What specific tasks remain for getting the libcoin implementation on par with the standard Namecoin implementation? Once we know what tasks exist, it might be possible to post some bounties.
Currently, I'm waiting on Michael to merge my name_history patch (which he promised to do already some time ago, I'll have to ping him probably). Apart from that, my planned next steps are:
  • Make the Namecoin testnet work. I think khal worked on this already, but I don't yet know how far he got and what exactly needs to be done. Probably quite easy actually. This will be useful for the next steps.
  • Implement name_new, name_firstupdate, name_update. Constructing the name scripts is easy, the difficult parts will be interfacing with the wallet - I've not yet looked at how libcoin handles the wallet, so I don't fully know how hard or easy this will be. It may be almost trivial, or it may need some extensions to libcoin's core APIs. (Similar to the extension to strip name scripts when deducing an address from a script that was necessary for name_show.)
IMHO, these two steps would make libcoin useful for a lot of additional applications already (in addition to read-only requests which are already supported). What remains after that is name_list, name_scan, name_filter, maybe some command I missed for now (since I don't use it) and finally, an RPC-based UI.

If you or someone is able to put up bounties, I'm sure that I could find more time (and put other tasks I'm working on for pay off). Also, this would give you / the donor the ability to decide priorities of steps and details of what should be done and all that. ;)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by indolering » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:16 am

Make the Namecoin testnet work. I think khal worked on this already, but I don't yet know how far he got and what exactly needs to be done. Probably quite easy actually. This will be useful for the next steps.
I've pinged Khal regarding the testnet, forum post on the subject and related commits.

namecoin/libcoin ticket.
Implement name_new, name_firstupdate, name_update. ... I've not yet looked at how libcoin handles the wallet, so I don't fully know how hard or easy this will be.
FWIW, from the talk Mike gave on Libcoin, the impression I got was that the wallet code was mostly unchanged from Bitcoin mainline.

namecoin/libcoin ticket
name_list, name_scan, name_filter
These are just SQL queries, right? Ticket.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

Post Reply