Google Summer of Code

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:52 am

The organisation application begins in one week ... what do you think, are we ready or should we wait one year? My offer to be the GSoC admin still stands, but we really need a somewhat good website and wiki to point Google to, I guess, plus the ideas list hosted somewhere, too.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by biolizard89 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 am

domob wrote:The organisation application begins in one week ... what do you think, are we ready or should we wait one year? My offer to be the GSoC admin still stands, but we really need a somewhat good website and wiki to point Google to, I guess, plus the ideas list hosted somewhere, too.
I'm unfortunately a bit booked this week due to an upcoming Indiegogo campaign... but it would be really cool to get something going this year. There's not much work needed on the dot-bit draft site I made; all we really need are browsing instructions and webmaster instructions, which can temporarily be links to the wiki.

@domob: are you able to gather the proposed ideas list into a wiki page? If not, I can try to do so, but I'm guessing you have more time than I do this week.

Meanwhile, I found out that one of my high school friends (he and I collaborated on some robotics hardware hacking back in 2007) is now at Google... I can see if he's willing to vouch for me. I can also try to contact the Googlers who were at my poster session, although I'd like to have a working website before contacting them.

Ugh, too much to do....
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by indolering » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 am

domob wrote:The organisation application begins in one week ... what do you think, are we ready or should we wait one year? My offer to be the GSoC admin still stands, but we really need a somewhat good website and wiki to point Google to, I guess, plus the ideas list hosted somewhere, too.
Namecoin.org is almost presentable, it just needs to be a bit less cheezy and get rid of that slider. If Khal could get that new server online and get Pitull to move the Drupal instance we could get the wiki and forum moved over in a (very long) day.

You should just start compiling the ideas on a wiki page.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by biolizard89 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 am

I just removed the placeholder text from the Dot-Bit carousel (gray gradient will have to do), removed some other placeholder images, and added a draft of the Browsing Instructions page.

https://www.veclabs.bit/namecoin/namecoin.info_2/
https://www.veclabs.bit/namecoin/nameco ... rowse.html

None of this is production quality, but it may suffice for the moment.

(The browse.html page will eventually link to subpages containing instructions for each of the methods described, instead of just download links.)

Anyone want me to throw this on GitHub?

EDIT: I've got 1 Googler on board. He's not particularly familiar with Namecoin but he knows me and can vouch for my competence.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by indolering » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:32 pm

biolizard89 wrote:I just removed the placeholder text from the Dot-Bit carousel (gray gradient will have to do), removed some other placeholder images, and added a draft of the Browsing Instructions page.

https://www.veclabs.bit/namecoin/namecoin.info_2/
https://www.veclabs.bit/namecoin/nameco ... rowse.html

None of this is production quality, but it may suffice for the moment.
That looks great Biolizard!
biolizard89 wrote: Anyone want me to throw this on GitHub?
If you mean integrate it with namecoin.info, sure. If you mean just throw it on a new github repo ... you could do that but could we get Pitbull in on this? I'm trying to get everyone collaborating instead of duplicating all of this effort :D
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Great efforts! I'll create a wiki page for the idea list and collect what was written in this thread. I'll let you know when I'm ready for a review of other pairs of eyes. ;) biolizard89, it would indeed be great if you could get in contact with some Googler, if you have the possibility!
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Here's the new wiki page: https://github.com/namecoin/wiki/wiki/G ... ject-Ideas Feel free to edit it based on your own thoughts! I took the liberty to propose some people from here as possible mentors as I saw fit, but please just update this according to your own liking.

What do you think about the rebase, should we include that, too? But we would need to be already confident about what to do there, and I'm not sure if the rebase alone would be a suitable project for GSoC.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by indolering » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:22 pm

domob wrote: What do you think about the rebase, should we include that, too? But we would need to be already confident about what to do there, and I'm not sure if the rebase alone would be a suitable project for GSoC.
I think implementing the remaining issues in Libcoin (wallet code, miner code, missing-RPC calls) would be suitable projects.

What about implementing whatever RPC calls are needed for a full-blown wallet?

Oh, and this:
  • Automated builds with code signing, unit tests and pushing to Archive.org mirror.
  • Reproducible builds for libcoin.
  • Value encryption.
  • Miner for Libcoin.
  • Wallet code for Libcoin.
  • RPC calls for Libcoin.
  • Value encryption for Libcoin.
  • Json-RPC calls for all CLI commands.
I'm not sure how suitable each is nor do I have any experience with any of those subjects so I don't feel comfortable writing them up for the GSOC proposal.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 am

Bump. The organisation application time-frame starts on monday. If no one objects, I will submit an application and try to fill in the details as well as possible, giving the wiki page above as ideas page and namecoin.info / namecoin.org as website.

@biolizard89: Have you heard from one of your Google contacts whether they can vouch for us?

@all: Please take a look at the ideas list and update it to your liking. We should at least confirm the suggested mentors, and I don't want to have anyone in there without their consent. So please take a look and either remove your name or the question mark (or add yourself to projects you think you could mentor). I'll remove everyone with question mark before submitting the application. I'm willing to function as mentor for every project listed (not just those where I added myself), but I'm not sure how knowledgeable I am with some of them. (Where I'm not yet listed.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by biolizard89 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:46 am

domob wrote:Bump. The organisation application time-frame starts on monday. If no one objects, I will submit an application and try to fill in the details as well as possible, giving the wiki page above as ideas page and namecoin.info / namecoin.org as website.

@biolizard89: Have you heard from one of your Google contacts whether they can vouch for us?

@all: Please take a look at the ideas list and update it to your liking. We should at least confirm the suggested mentors, and I don't want to have anyone in there without their consent. So please take a look and either remove your name or the question mark (or add yourself to projects you think you could mentor). I'll remove everyone with question mark before submitting the application. I'm willing to function as mentor for every project listed (not just those where I added myself), but I'm not sure how knowledgeable I am with some of them. (Where I'm not yet listed.)
I'm fine with being a mentor for the Android project. I don't know much about Android dev specifically, but I know enough about .bit implementation through my work with Convergence for Namecoin that I should be able to be helpful.

I currently have one contact from Google who is willing to vouch for us (or at least vouch for us on the grounds that I'm involved); I'll PM you his name. I'll try to contact the other Googlers this weekend. Also, I don't know if this is relevant to their process, but it can't hurt to mention that "Jeremy Rand (AKA biolizard89), one of the lead Namecoin developers, was a 2013 recipient of the Google Lime Scholarship and attended the Google Scholars Retreat at the New York office."
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Post Reply