Google Summer of Code

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am

biolizard89 wrote:I'm fine with being a mentor for the Android project. I don't know much about Android dev specifically, but I know enough about .bit implementation through my work with Convergence for Namecoin that I should be able to be helpful.

I currently have one contact from Google who is willing to vouch for us (or at least vouch for us on the grounds that I'm involved); I'll PM you his name. I'll try to contact the other Googlers this weekend. Also, I don't know if this is relevant to their process, but it can't hurt to mention that "Jeremy Rand (AKA biolizard89), one of the lead Namecoin developers, was a 2013 recipient of the Google Lime Scholarship and attended the Google Scholars Retreat at the New York office."
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and see whether I can find a good place to put it. :)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 am

Application submitted. I will send out the data I submitted for now soon, and we have time until Monday to make adaptions if we want to.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:17 pm

We were not accepted unfortunately. Might be interesting:
If you would like some general feedback on why your organization was not accepted, please consider attending the IRC meeting in #gsoc on Freenode on Friday, 28 February, 2014 at 16:00 UTC. Please note that the feedback meeting will be limited to the first 50 organizations to queue up (queuing in the channel will begin at 15:30 UTC).
I'm on the way to Heidelberg during the weekend for a family get-together, but if anyone has time, it would surely be interesting to be there!
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by indolering » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 am

domob wrote:We were not accepted unfortunately. Might be interesting:
If you would like some general feedback on why your organization was not accepted, please consider attending the IRC meeting in #gsoc on Freenode on Friday, 28 February, 2014 at 16:00 UTC. Please note that the feedback meeting will be limited to the first 50 organizations to queue up (queuing in the channel will begin at 15:30 UTC).
I'm on the way to Heidelberg during the weekend for a family get-together, but if anyone has time, it would surely be interesting to be there!
We should definitely followup. I'm sure we can get things looking more professional for next year. At least we know the routine now.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by biolizard89 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:41 pm

indolering wrote:
domob wrote:We were not accepted unfortunately. Might be interesting:
If you would like some general feedback on why your organization was not accepted, please consider attending the IRC meeting in #gsoc on Freenode on Friday, 28 February, 2014 at 16:00 UTC. Please note that the feedback meeting will be limited to the first 50 organizations to queue up (queuing in the channel will begin at 15:30 UTC).
I'm on the way to Heidelberg during the weekend for a family get-together, but if anyone has time, it would surely be interesting to be there!
We should definitely followup. I'm sure we can get things looking more professional for next year. At least we know the routine now.
I'm queued for the meeting, starts in 20 minutes.... I'll let you know what I hear.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by biolizard89 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:48 am

Here's our feedback from Google:

Code: Select all

[12:09]	gsocbot	kblin: Next in line is Namecoin_Jeremy_ with notice: https://github.com/namecoin/wiki/wiki/GSoC-2014-Project-Ideas
[12:09]	carols_	Namecoin_Jeremy_: hi
[12:09]	=-=	Mode #gsoc +v Namecoin_Jeremy_ by kblin
[12:09]	Namecoin_Jeremy_	Hi
[12:09]	=-=	Mode #gsoc -v JoshDreamland by kblin
[12:09]	Namecoin_Jeremy_	This is our first time applying, so we're curious to hear what we can improve
[12:09]	carols_	loved the structure of your ideas page overall
[12:09]	carols_	i would have liked to see your expected outcomes, but overall, very good
[12:10]	Namecoin_Jeremy_	cool
[12:10]	carols_	yeah, other than that, this was just a matter of numbers again
[12:10]	carols_	sorry that's not a more satisfying answer
[12:10]	Namecoin_Jeremy_	I understand
[12:11]	Namecoin_Jeremy_	that's actually good news for us, that means we're doing something right
[12:11]	carols_	i do hope you'll try again next year
[12:11]	carols_	for sure
[12:11]	Namecoin_Jeremy_	Yes, we'll try again next year
[12:11]	carols_	excellent
[12:11]	carols_	thanks for waiting
So yeah, basically we did everything right, but there were too many applicants and not enough slots. Google said they try to make sure new organizations have some bias in their favor, so presumably if we keep doing as well as we did this year, we have a good chance of getting in sometime.

Major props to domob for organizing this effort -- next year let's try again!
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by domob » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks for being there, sounds really good! I volunteer to do it next year again. ;)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

khal
Site Admin
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm
os: linux

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by khal » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Thank for the report biolizard89.
domob wrote:Thanks for being there, sounds really good! I volunteer to do it next year again. ;)
Good new :p.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: Google Summer of Code

Post by indolering » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 pm

That's awesome, great job everyone!
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

Post Reply