[NMDF] 0.4/0.1BTC - Namecoin Tor/I2P Support Firefox Plugin

phelix

[NMDF] 0.4/0.1BTC - Namecoin Tor/I2P Support Firefox Plugin

Post by phelix »

Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund Bounty Offer

Firefox Plugin to support d/namespace --> Tor / I2P

0.4BTC for Tor
additional 0.1BTC for I2P

Should be based on biolizard89's TLS plugin: http://nf.bit/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=552
Should support TLS
Should work on Windows and Linux (of course Mac would be nice, too)
Should support explicit method calling something like this: http://nf.bit/viewtopic.php?p=4857

Post here if you want to add to the bounty.

Edit: biolizard has the first call as he is already planing on it
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

gigabytecoin

Re: [NMDF] 0.4/0.1BTC - Namecoin Tor/I2P Support Firefox Plu

Post by gigabytecoin »

What would the plugin consist of exactly?

Do you simply want to be able to access .bit domains via TOR and/or I2P?

Browsing .bit domains via TOR would be as simple as patching the torbutton extension to include namecoin dns lookups via TOR when a .bit domain was encountered.

I2P will be hard as there is only one exit node on the entire I2P network at the moment and it is quite discerning on who/what it allows through.

Using .bit as a eepsite would require a patch to the I2P code if I am not mistaken.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

gigabytecoin wrote:What would the plugin consist of exactly?

Browsing .bit domains via TOR would be as simple as patching the torbutton extension to include namecoin dns lookups via TOR when a .bit domain was encountered.

I2P will be hard as there is only one exit node on the entire I2P network at the moment and it is quite discerning on who/what it allows through.

Using .bit as a eepsite would require a patch to the I2P code if I am not mistaken.
I take it you haven't read the .bit specification... the bounty is for having .bit domains resolve to Tor hidden services or I2P eepsites rather than IP addresses.

EDIT: And yes, I will attempt to implement this.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
gigabytecoin wrote:What would the plugin consist of exactly?

I take it you haven't read the .bit specification... the bounty is for having .bit domains resolve to Tor hidden services or I2P eepsites rather than IP addresses.
this
EDIT: And yes, I will attempt to implement this.
Really looking forward to it!

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

@phelix, am I correct in assuming that support for the .b32.i2p domain syntax is sufficient to achieve the I2P bounty? I don't see any benefit to also supporting the hosts-file syntax, since it's not deterministic and will give users a false sense of security. There's a third syntax that I can't find any documentation on, and which even the I2P web interface seems incapable of turning into a hyperlink... so I don't see much benefit in supporting it either if the I2P devs aren't supporting it.

EDIT: Also, do you require TLS support for .onion/.i2p domains, or just for IP domains (as works already)? I think TLS will work fine with no modifications on .onion and .i2p domains, but it's really rare for a server to use that feature (since it's only useful for security if the server is on Whonix or something), so I don't have the ability to test it (unless you can point me to a public server that has it enabled).

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

It would bring us forward a lot if it will be implemented so I contribute also with 0.2 BTC bounty for resolving .bit to .onion address with a Firefox plugin. (TLS support at least for IP should remain)
0.1 BTC for Windows(XP-W8.1 range) and 0.1 BTC for Linux(Debian/Ubuntu/Xubuntu on the latest 3 stable versions)
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:@phelix, am I correct in assuming that support for the .b32.i2p domain syntax is sufficient to achieve the I2P bounty? I don't see any benefit to also supporting the hosts-file syntax, since it's not deterministic and will give users a false sense of security. There's a third syntax that I can't find any documentation on, and which even the I2P web interface seems incapable of turning into a hyperlink... so I don't see much benefit in supporting it either if the I2P devs aren't supporting it.
whatever you think is right/efficient
EDIT: Also, do you require TLS support for .onion/.i2p domains, or just for IP domains (as works already)? I think TLS will work fine with no modifications on .onion and .i2p domains, but it's really rare for a server to use that feature (since it's only useful for security if the server is on Whonix or something), so I don't have the ability to test it (unless you can point me to a public server that has it enabled).
Then I guess it will be tested when someone sets up a Tor server with TLS then. IMHO a cool feature.
virtual_master wrote:It would bring us forward a lot if it will be implemented so I contribute also with 0.2 BTC bounty for resolving .bit to .onion address with a Firefox plugin. (TLS support at least for IP should remain)
0.1 BTC for Windows(XP-W8.1 range) and 0.1 BTC for Linux(Debian/Ubuntu/Xubuntu on the latest 3 stable versions)
Great!

phelix

Post by phelix »

Does sombody have a .bit Tor address at hand? :mrgreen:

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:Does sombody have a .bit Tor address at hand? :mrgreen:
http://federalistpapers.bit (Tor)
http://anonymous-git-hosting.bit (I2P)

Note that you'll need to enable Tor and/or I2P resolving in the FreeSpeechMe settings, and you'll need to have a Tor/I2P SOCKS proxy running. I2P by default uses an HTTP proxy, which will not work -- that can be changed in the web interface for I2P.

phelix

Post by phelix »

I am still testing. So far it looks very good :mrgreen:

I could not yet get it running in the Tor browser bundle... do you have any idea why that could be? I deactivated the https everywhere extension to no avail.

It works fine with normal Firefox: http://duskgytldkxiuqc6.onion --> http://federalistpapers.bit