Is Namecoin dead?

Ron

Is Namecoin dead?

Post by Ron »

Shapeshift no longer accepts exchanges involving Namecoin. Why? Is there anywhere else I can exchange Namecoin, hopefully anonymously? I am not giving my addresss and social security number to a currency exchange. Thanks.

samurai321

Re: Is Namecoin dead?

Post by samurai321 »

Not dead, people are just waiting for most of the coins to be released before going "all in" on NMC.

You can see here that the main exchanges now are Poloniex and Wex.nz
Keep calm and gather moar namecoins

Ron

Post by Ron »

samurai321 wrote:Not dead, people are just waiting for most of the coins to be released before going "all in" on NMC.

You can see here that the main exchanges now are Poloniex and Wex.nz
Waiting for most of the coins to be released doesn't seem realistic to me. People don't wait for most coins to be released in any other currency before using it, buying it, and selling it. Odd.

Anyway, Poloniex requires vast amounts of personal details, including your social security number. They will never have my business. What about Wex? It seems to me that you can't trade currencies there unless you move move them there. Since that will mean paying an extra fee to send currency there and again another fee to withdraw it, I have not gone ahead with testing it. If you sell NMC for BTC there, will it demand more PII (Personal Identifiable Information)?

I vastly prefer Shapeshift, since I can choose other currencies to swap with, not just Bitcoin. It is also anonymous. I wonder why Shapeshift removed Namecoin.

cassini

Post by cassini »

Ron wrote:I wonder why Shapeshift removed Namecoin.
Same issue as with shapeshift's Peercoin, Storj, Nxt, Steem, Emercoin and Novacoin sections, just to name a few. It looks like shapeshift runs a hopelessly understaffed support centre that can't keep up with the rising number of support tickets, let alone having a look at outdated software versions on their servers.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Ron wrote:Shapeshift no longer accepts exchanges involving Namecoin. Why? Is there anywhere else I can exchange Namecoin, hopefully anonymously? I am not giving my addresss and social security number to a currency exchange. Thanks.
ShapeShift's anonymity isn't good (last I checked, they use CloudFlare to discriminate against Tor users). For BTC/NMC trades, Bisq is probably a lot more anonymous than ShapeShift (but be aware that Bitcoin and Namecoin anonymity is extremely tricky to get right, and it's not a use case that we support right now).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Will there be electrum client for NMC for traders to store their coins on instead of exchange?With exchanges being hacked and closing without any notice it would be a good idea.I don't use namecoin or the .bit tech but like to trade the old solid coins so I rarely use full node client with the whole blockchain and only need lightweight client?I will donate $100 towards it for a start :-)

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

user1234 wrote:Will there be electrum client for NMC for traders to store their coins on instead of exchange?With exchanges being hacked and closing without any notice it would be a good idea.I don't use namecoin or the .bit tech but like to trade the old solid coins so I rarely use full node client with the whole blockchain and only need lightweight client?I will donate $100 towards it for a start :-)
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply (I was on vacation due to the Thanksgiving holidays in the U.S.).

We can take earmarked donations in 2 ways at the moment. The 1st way is by setting up an earmarked Bitcoin address at NMDF. This is recommended if you trust Phelix and Daniel (and their jurisdictions, which are Germany and Switzerland) to not go rogue and steal the money. The 2nd way is by creating a Bountysource bounty. This is recommended if you trust Bountysource (and their jurisdiction, which is California in the U.S.) to not go rogue and steal the money. NMDF stores the money in BTC; Bountysource stores the money in USD (so if you believe that one or the other is preferable due to exchange rate, take that into account).

Let me know which you'd prefer, and I'll look into facilitating it.

Cheers!

EDIT: And yes, we are totally okay with working on an Electrum-NMC client.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Pm sent.Danke

redblade7

Post by redblade7 »

I discovered a ShapeShift-like site recently called CoinReform. Not all claimed supported currencies show up in the "Deposit" or "Receive" options, and there are maximums. After I made a small trade, the maximum decreased. So I then did a maximum trade, and apparently emptied out the site's entire (published) stock of NMCs, as the NMC logo was taken out of "Receive" and moved into "Deposit".

So if you want to fill the site's stock of NMC back up again, it'll be ShapeShift for someone else.

redblade7

Post by redblade7 »

How is Namecoin communist? It's anything but.

BTW a good idea for increasing interest in Namecoin would be to perhaps have the ability to use .bit domains for forwarding rather than DNS records. For example, a "forward":"https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump" or "forward":"https://(myblog).tumblr.com", and this would be resolved through ncdns. While that would be pointless in terms of Namecoin's philosophy, it might encourage people to purchase more names, at least for a while.