Best place to buy Namecoins?

Galahad

Best place to buy Namecoins?

Post by Galahad »

Hi. I'm interested in getting into namecoin as early as possible so I want to exchange some BTC for some NMC. I was going to use BTC-E as mentioned on the namecoin website but I've heard some reports about dodgy security. Is there anywhere else that supports it at this point?

Also is is still viable to mine NMC with an ordinary computer? I only have an old intel core 2 duo machine but will be getting a new comp soon with in i5 Haswell CPU hopefully.

Cheers.

domob

Re: Best place to buy Namecoins?

Post by domob »

Galahad wrote:Hi. I'm interested in getting into namecoin as early as possible so I want to exchange some BTC for some NMC. I was going to use BTC-E as mentioned on the namecoin website but I've heard some reports about dodgy security. Is there anywhere else that supports it at this point?
I use vircurex.com, they have lower volume than BTC-E but usually about the same price (presumably because there are arbitragers). I didn't have any security problems so far, but that doesn't mean anything of course.
Galahad wrote:Also is is still viable to mine NMC with an ordinary computer? I only have an old intel core 2 duo machine but will be getting a new comp soon with in i5 Haswell CPU hopefully.
I don't think so. Namecoin has a very high difficulty because it is merge-mined with Bitcoin at some pools. It seems to be about half that of Bitcoin (30e6 versus 65e6). So I don't think so - for fun I did some mining with my CPU and a (not so good) Nvidia GPU last year, but wasn't able to mine more than about 0.5 NMC or so. That's enough to buy some names, but it surely isn't the suggested way to obtain Namecoins. You would probably need an ASIC to do that in a meaningful way.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

OK thanks, good advice.

liliontransfer

Post by liliontransfer »

LilionTransfer.org

if you do not buy for more than 2000$ no vrification needed.