Unable to register .bit domain

https://www.namecoin.org/dot-bit/
biolizard89

Re: Unable to register .bit domain

Post by biolizard89 »

virus_net wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:Any chance you could try on FreeBSD with both the "master" and "bitcoin" branches?
Yes, we did it. We've tried to build master, bitcoin and 0.14 branches. All of them was built successfully on FreeBSD:
master:

Code: Select all

./namecoind -version
Namecoin Core Daemon version v0.15.99.0-gead838c64
bitcoin:

./bitcoind -version
Bitcoin Core Daemon version v0.15.99.0-g262167393
0.14:

./namecoind -version
Namecoin Core Daemon version v0.14.2.0-g13c27a71d
But it happened only when we had add some options and flags, which were taken from port net-p2p/bitcoin.

1. ./autogen.sh
2. ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" \
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include/db48" \
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector" \
--without-gui --without-qrencode --disable-debug --enable-hardening --disable-tests --disable-bench --without-miniupnpc --enable-wallet \
--disable-zmq --prefix=/usr/local --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/local/man --disable-silent-rules --infodir=/usr/local/info/ --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd11.1 \
BDB_CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/db48" BDB_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -ldb_cxx-4.8"
3. gmake
4. gmake install
We can't build 0.13 because it didn't respect BDB_CFLAGS and BDB_LIBS, but for us enough working 0.14 and we hadn't investiagate deeper in it :)

P.S. Probably some of flags can be deleted, but we're not so familiar with C/C++ ;(
Awesome, glad to hear you got it working. If you happen to figure out exactly which extra options are required, which aren't in the Bitcoin Core build instructions for FreeBSD, you might want to file a GitHub issue with Bitcoin Core so that their documentation gets fixed.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virus_net

Post by virus_net »

biolizard89 wrote:glad to hear you got it working
Working... we use only one command version and don`t try to start daemon.
Why ? Because of this:
biolizard89 wrote:just make sure you do not use the old wallet for sending transactions to the network anymore.
I still try to find information to answer the question that I`am asking myself: "Why I can`t do transactions from two hosts with same privkey ? What can happen ?"
And still can`t find this answer... Can you give link to documentation where I can find something about this ?
Thanks.
biolizard89 wrote: you might want to file a GitHub issue with Bitcoin Core so that their documentation gets fixed.
It could be so if we exactly have understanding what does this options mean. As was said:
virus_net wrote:add some options and flags, which were taken from port net-p2p/bitcoin
It is copy-paste only and without understanding:
virus_net wrote: we're not so familiar with C/C++ ;(
Are they right ? Don`t know. Only that I know is build is successful with this options.
So how can I write about something if I still don`t understand it by myself ? In my opinion I can`t write it because they can ask questions that I can`t answer.
bitname.ru:
- whois service for .bit: whois.bitname.ru or whois.bitname.bit
- dns servers for .bit: dns1.bitname.ru dns2.bitname.ru or dns1.bitname.bit dns2.bitname.bit
- bit domains statistics
github

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

virus_net wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:glad to hear you got it working
Working... we use only one command version and don`t try to start daemon.
Why ? Because of this:
biolizard89 wrote:just make sure you do not use the old wallet for sending transactions to the network anymore.
Hmm, pretty sure Cassini said that rather than me.
virus_net wrote:I still try to find information to answer the question that I`am asking myself: "Why I can`t do transactions from two hosts with same privkey ? What can happen ?"
And still can`t find this answer... Can you give link to documentation where I can find something about this ?
Thanks.
I think the basic issue that Cassini was referring to is that old wallet versions (e.g. the kind created by 0.3.80) don't generate keys deterministically, so if you start with 2 identical wallet.dat files in 2 different installations, they will start generating new keys that are different, and once they start using those new keys, one wallet will have access to coins that the other doesn't (and vice versa).

The deterministic wallets created by current Namecoin Core versions don't have this problem.

(Cassini is welcome to correct me if he was actually talking about a different issue.)
virus_net wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: you might want to file a GitHub issue with Bitcoin Core so that their documentation gets fixed.
It could be so if we exactly have understanding what does this options mean. As was said:
virus_net wrote:add some options and flags, which were taken from port net-p2p/bitcoin
It is copy-paste only and without understanding:
virus_net wrote: we're not so familiar with C/C++ ;(
Are they right ? Don`t know. Only that I know is build is successful with this options.
So how can I write about something if I still don`t understand it by myself ? In my opinion I can`t write it because they can ask questions that I can`t answer.
Fair point. :)

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virus_net

Post by virus_net »

biolizard89 wrote:Hmm, pretty sure Cassini said that rather than me.
Yes, you right and I was wrong. Copy-paste bug... as always... :) Sorry for that.
biolizard89 wrote:if you start with 2 identical wallet.dat files
In my case they can`t be the same, because I didn`t copy wallet.dat from FreeBSD to Debian. I just use dumpkey only. Or I am thinking wrong ?
bitname.ru:
- dns servers for .bit: dns1.bitname.ru dns2.bitname.ru or dns1.bitname.bit dns2.bitname.bit
- bit domains statistics
github

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

virus_net wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:Hmm, pretty sure Cassini said that rather than me.
Yes, you right and I was wrong. Copy-paste bug... as always... :) Sorry for that.
No worries. :)
virus_net wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:if you start with 2 identical wallet.dat files
In my case they can`t be the same, because I didn`t copy wallet.dat from FreeBSD to Debian. I just use dumpkey only. Or I am thinking wrong ?
I don't think this changes the underlying issue that the key you imported isn't generated deterministically (because it's from an 0.3.80 wallet and therefore isn't part of a deterministic wallet), which means if you use that key in more than one wallet, you might eventually end up with coins and/or names that are only spendable by one of the two wallets. Generally the safest thing to do when switching from 0.3.80 to Namecoin Core is to send all the coins and names from the 0.3.80 wallet to addresses generated by the Namecoin Core wallet. Once you've done this, I *think* it's probably safe to use the Namecoin Core wallet.dat file in more than one instance, since it's deterministic. (It's not a common configuration, so I'm not certain that it's safe, but it's a lot safer than using nondeterministically generated keys in multiple instances.)

Cheers!

virus_net

Post by virus_net »

Thanks for advice.
biolizard89 wrote: is to send all the coins and names
Seriously scared to do this :) Afraid to loose control on already registered domains not coins.
Maybe I will try this when i will know more about namecoin, because for now I`am still newbe :)
bitname.ru:
- bit domains statistics
github