use .bit and don't install official client

https://www.namecoin.org/dot-bit/
sswe3000

use .bit and don't install official client

Post by sswe3000 »

I would use .bit zone without namecoin client installed. register domains, and view resources. What opportunities are there for this?

biolizard89

Re: use .bit and don't install official client

Post by biolizard89 »

sswe3000 wrote:I would use .bit zone without namecoin client installed. register domains, and view resources. What opportunities are there for this?
It's unclear to me exactly what you're asking... possibly a language barrier?

If you're asking whether you can use the .bit TLD without Namecoin software installed, the answer is no. Just like in the 90's you couldn't use SSL without installing a browser that supported SSL.

It's not necessarily required to use a full-node client (such as Namecoin Core); there's a BitcoinJ-based client in beta that is significantly lighter.

There are some sketchy DNS relay services out there that offer a centralized TLD with the name ".bit" that they claim is periodically mirrored from the actual .bit. They are not actually .bit; by definition, .bit is a decentralized system. Similarly, there are some sketchy DNS registrar services out there that will buy a .bit domain for you. However, you do not own the domain, the service does, and there have been several cases where such services vanished, taking the domains they bought with them.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

sswe3000

Post by sswe3000 »

OK. Where can I download BitcoinJ-based client? It requires a set of Java? I don't like java.
I can install any namecoin software in my server, but i need client-server architecture, to have access my domain from the client computer.
This https://translate.google.com/.
Google was crazy, all its services are becoming worse every day:(

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

sswe3000 wrote:OK. Where can I download BitcoinJ-based client? It requires a set of Java? I don't like java.
You can download it at the bottom of the Beta Downloads page. https://namecoin.org/download/betas/ Yes, sadly it does require Java. (I don't like Java much either.)
sswe3000 wrote:I can install any namecoin software in my server, but i need client-server architecture, to have access my domain from the client computer.
If I understand what you're asking, you could run Namecoin Core (or the BitcoinJ client) on your server, and use an SSH tunnel to access Namecoin Core's RPC port from your client computer. You could also possibly run both Namecoin Core and ncdns (with DNSSEC) on your server, and access ncdns from your client computer. Note that SSH encrypts data, while DNSSEC doesn't, so SSH will have better privacy than DNSSEC.
sswe3000 wrote:This https://translate.google.com/.
Google was crazy, all its services are becoming worse every day:(
No worries. I can understand most of what you're saying. :)

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

sswe3000

Post by sswe3000 »

Ok. I use java the first time. I install last java to windows 2008 r2 server end run "java -jar bitcoinj-daemon-0.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar".
I look only this:
Don't interface, help or other. What should I do next?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

sswe3000 wrote:Ok. I use java the first time. I install last java to windows 2008 r2 server end run "java -jar bitcoinj-daemon-0.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar".
I look only this:
Don't interface, help or other. What should I do next?
The error you're getting is because the BitcoinJ-based name lookup client doesn't support proxying or stream isolation, and it wants to make sure that you understand and are okay with this for safety reasons. (Basically, if you need anonymity of any kind, it's not safe.) To indicate that you're okay with not using proxying or stream isolation, add the following command-line arguments:

Code: Select all

--connection.proxyenabled=false --connection.streamisolation=false
In addition, I generally recommend also adding this command line argument:

--namelookup.latest.algo=leveldbtxcache
This improves security, reliability, and lookup speed significantly, at the cost of about 400 MB of storage and about 5 minutes of initial syncup time.

So your final command line would look like this:

java -jar ./bitcoinj-daemon-0.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar --connection.proxyenabled=false --connection.streamisolation=false --namelookup.latest.algo=leveldbtxcache
All of this is documented at https://namecoin.org/docs/bitcoinj-name-lookups/ .

Cheers.