Pirate Bay's .bit DNS

https://www.namecoin.org/dot-bit/
somename

Pirate Bay's .bit DNS

Post by somename »

> The Pirate Party’s DNS has added benefits though, as it supports additional Top Level Domains including .geek or .pirate, and the Namecoin based .bit. In addition, it operates from Norway with minimal logging to guarantee users’ privacy.

https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-party-o ... de-150907/

biolizard89

Re: Pirate Bay's .bit DNS

Post by biolizard89 »

somename wrote:> The Pirate Party’s DNS has added benefits though, as it supports additional Top Level Domains including .geek or .pirate, and the Namecoin based .bit. In addition, it operates from Norway with minimal logging to guarantee users’ privacy.

https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-party-o ... de-150907/
This is not newsworthy. As far as I can tell they're just running yet another OpenNIC server. I'm not sure why TorrentFreak thought this was interesting -- maybe because it has the word Pirate in it?

In any event, this server (and all other OpenNIC servers) are not serving .bit. .bit is decentralized. OpenNIC is serving a centralized TLD which is (one hopes) periodically mirrored from .bit. It is no better than other centralized TLD's. OpenNIC may arguably have better centralized policies than ICANN, but that is solely because they're smaller and therefore exposed to less political and commercial pressure. If OpenNIC ever becomes as big as ICANN, I expect them to have near-identical problems.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

somename

Re: Pirate Bay's .bit DNS

Post by somename »

biolizard89 wrote: This is not newsworthy. As far as I can tell they're just running yet another OpenNIC server. I'm not sure why TorrentFreak thought this was interesting -- maybe because it has the word Pirate in it?
I understand your arguments/points and they're valid.

But we should look at this not only from a technical perspective. For example:

* Every mention of .bit helps. People google it, they learn about Namecoin. Few months later they will come back and learn more.
* As they learn about Namecoin, they may use .bit for a home system. If (as you mentioned) OpenNIC stops resolving .bit, that wouldn't necessarily be bad because users happy with it would continue using it (by running a full node, for example).
* As they learn about .bit, they may get interested in Namecoin id's and other features because it adds to user's privacy and frees them from having to register at every site (especially those semi-legal sites).

I think the article is not significant, but (for example) if you search Google News for ".bit" mentions, this is one of 3 mentions in 2015 which are followed by a CoinDesk article from 2013, and then some smaller news from 2013, 2014 and 2015. In August 2015 Google Trend Index was at a record low (5) and in September is 6. Small stuff, but to me that's encouraging.