Dear squatters!

https://bit.namecoin.org/
Post Reply
crosser
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 am
os: linux
Contact:

Dear squatters!

Post by crosser » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:31 am

It would greatly help if you left some contact information in the `value` field, rather than leaving it an empty string. Otherwise interested parties are left with nothing more than your namecoin address, which is not a good enough way of getting in touch.

Thanks for listening.

In particular, I am interested in d/average:

Code: Select all

{"name":"d/average","value":"","txid":"a986ea1151d612642b7a881a9f7a96f7d0ed9f9aa3751591a67452124cde0dac","address":"My29Kg27PkQLNA8LGcDq4WpB6fa8d7UUQv","expires_in":35856}
average.org is a personal project from which I get no income. I wonder if the current owner would be willing to hand me the d/average name for the cost of transaction.

Incidentally, I was recently working on a project, http://www.average.org/pdns-pipe-nmc/, which may be of interest to namecoin users (but it is not ready for prime time deployment yet.)

Thanks,

Eugene, crosser@average.org, id/crosser
Eugene; id/crosser

MWD
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 pm
os: windows
Contact:

Re: Dear squatters!

Post by MWD » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 am

crosser wrote:It would greatly help if you left some contact information in the `value` field, rather than leaving it an empty string.
Agreed.
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Dear squatters!

Post by phelix » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 pm

You could try to follow the blockchain e.g. at http://namecha.in to see what other domain the owner has registered and whether they have contact information on them or lead you to this info.

I doubt though that the owner will give it away for free.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

crosser
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 am
os: linux
Contact:

Re: Dear squatters!

Post by crosser » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:18 am

phelix wrote:You could try to follow the blockchain e.g. at http://namecha.in to see what other domain the owner has registered and whether they have contact information on them or lead you to this info.
I did it back then, but all I found was more "uncontacable" domains.
The owner has renewed them since then, by the way, but did not make it easier to find him/her.
Eugene; id/crosser

biolizard89
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Dear squatters!

Post by biolizard89 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:35 am

crosser wrote:
phelix wrote:You could try to follow the blockchain e.g. at http://namecha.in to see what other domain the owner has registered and whether they have contact information on them or lead you to this info.
I did it back then, but all I found was more "uncontacable" domains.
The owner has renewed them since then, by the way, but did not make it easier to find him/her.
If you're willing to spend a name fee on contacting the name owner, you can register a new name with a message for the owner, and transfer that name to the owner. It will show up in their wallet; maybe they'll notice and read the message. No guarantees that this will work though.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virtual_master
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Dear squatters!

Post by virtual_master » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:51 pm

biolizard89 wrote: If you're willing to spend a name fee on contacting the name owner, you can register a new name with a message for the owner, and transfer that name to the owner. It will show up in their wallet; maybe they'll notice and read the message. No guarantees that this will work though.
This is a simple but good idea. But we could make it even better.

1. It would be much easier to use and wouldn't be needed to explain for every user if this would be an automated function from the wallet.
A new menu entry:
-send message-
- enter domain name or another namespace entry
- random name generated(20 character long) and registered it wallet has at least 0.02 NMC
- random name transferred to the name entry holder

The name holder would see the message if he has an open wallet holding that name.

2. The former message would be an open message which could be read by everyone even if not automatically showed in his wallet.
But we could make it encrypted.
What we need for that is a public key from the name holder which could be linked from his name entry in an id/ or another standardized namespace for this purpose.
Actually it could be only a 0.5k length key but it is still better then having a plaintext.

3. We could even make another step of automation to make it easier for user who have difficulties using public key cryptography.
Making another menu entry
- adding encrypted channel-
- select name entry on which to receive encrypted message
- create random keypair(a 0.5k key by the actual size limit)
- storing private key for communication channel in wallet
- publishing public key in the blockchain in a random generated name entry
- and linking the public key from the namespace entry where to receive the messages( for ex id/bob)

If you like the idea we could discuss about it in another thread.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Dear squatters!

Post by biolizard89 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:39 am

virtual_master wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: If you're willing to spend a name fee on contacting the name owner, you can register a new name with a message for the owner, and transfer that name to the owner. It will show up in their wallet; maybe they'll notice and read the message. No guarantees that this will work though.
This is a simple but good idea. But we could make it even better.

1. It would be much easier to use and wouldn't be needed to explain for every user if this would be an automated function from the wallet.
A new menu entry:
-send message-
- enter domain name or another namespace entry
- random name generated(20 character long) and registered it wallet has at least 0.02 NMC
- random name transferred to the name entry holder

The name holder would see the message if he has an open wallet holding that name.

2. The former message would be an open message which could be read by everyone even if not automatically showed in his wallet.
But we could make it encrypted.
What we need for that is a public key from the name holder which could be linked from his name entry in an id/ or another standardized namespace for this purpose.
Actually it could be only a 0.5k length key but it is still better then having a plaintext.

3. We could even make another step of automation to make it easier for user who have difficulties using public key cryptography.
Making another menu entry
- adding encrypted channel-
- select name entry on which to receive encrypted message
- create random keypair(a 0.5k key by the actual size limit)
- storing private key for communication channel in wallet
- publishing public key in the blockchain in a random generated name entry
- and linking the public key from the namespace entry where to receive the messages( for ex id/bob)

If you like the idea we could discuss about it in another thread.
My suggestion was mainly a hack in case someone didn't list contact information. I think a proper solution would just be to list a Bitmessage address when you register a name. No need to clog the blockchain with personal messages, and Bitmessage has much better privacy than a Nakamoto blockchain.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Post Reply