How to register .bit domain in electrum?

https://www.namecoin.org/dot-bit/
biolizard89

Re: How to register .bit domain in electrum?

Post by biolizard89 »

DogHunter wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 pm
Hi,

The forum was down was not able to reply.
Indeed; as you probably noticed, we were doing some infrastructure maintenance, which required us to take down the forum for a few days. Apologies for the downtime.
DogHunter wrote:
So with new version of electrum I registered domain just fine and it is marked as registered, and JSON IP string seems correct.
Excellent, good to hear that registration is working for you now.
DogHunter wrote:
However my domain does not resolve thru bdns api or opennic DNS servers, while my emercoin domain resolves just fine both ways.
I'm not sure about the BDNS API; it's not ours and we don't have any regular contact with whoever is running that service. Unless something has changed without my knowledge, OpenNIC no longer resolves Namecoin domains, because both Yegor Timoshenko (of PRISM Break) and I politely asked them to stop resolving Namecoin domains due to security concerns (kudos to OpenNIC for listening to Yegor's and my concerns and taking them seriously).

Generally I'd recommend resolving Namecoin domains via ncdns. It should be able to use your existing Electrum-NMC as a backend if you like.
DogHunter wrote:
Also old incorrect domain registration is still in electum on "Manage Domains" tab and it crashes if I trying to edit that. Looks like some cosmetic UI problem.
The crash is a known bug; we have a patch sitting in our pull request list, but the patch isn't merged yet because I'd prefer to have a regression test for it. The reason the old registration still shows up in your wallet's Manage Names list is that, from Electrum-NMC's point of view, it looks exactly like some third party sent you a "name_new" transaction, which is something that you might want to be able to see (since you might be intending to complete the registration). If you want to get rid of the old registration in your Manage Names list, probably the easiest way is to create a new wallet file, and transfer your coins and your successful registration to the new wallet. Not ideal, and arguably it's problematic that some random person could send you a bunch of name_new outputs (though they'd have to pay the registration fee) and you wouldn't be able to clean them out of your wallet... not quite sure what the ideal UX is there. Happy to consider ideas for how this could be improved if you happen to have suggestions.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5